Chapter 23

Kenma never really wanted to be a father at that age. But if someone asks him if he regrets taking the baby in, he wouldn't know what to say. He wouldn't say he regret it, he wouldn't say he doesn't either. And yet those words he spoke somehow felt wrong. Suki is not my daughter, that statement somehow made him feel like he shouldn't have said it.

Even when she really isn't his daughter.

For six years he had taken care of her, he watched her grow, from crawling to finally standing up on her own feet and running around, from bubbling incoherent words to finally speaking to the point that she can actually talk back to Kenma now, not once did Kenma feel like she wasn't his daughter.

As much as not a single day that passed that he didn't love her birth mother and not a single day that passed that he didn't regret not telling her when she was still alive. There's not a single day that passed that he didn't treat Suki as someone who isn't his daughter.

Kenma knew you have a lot of questions, and he felt like he shouldn't keep anything from you anymore. Or else it might ignite a misunderstanding. So with that you found yourself in the living room with Kenma as he started to talk.

"Kana's my older sister, she's five years older than me," he started. "When our mom used to work several jobs and she was rarely ever home, Kana, in a sense became my second mother. Maybe that's why I feel like I owed her for that."

Kenma don't remember much of his childhood, but he does remember the times when she would sacrifice her own happiness just to take care of Kenma.

They weren't exactly underprivileged, but living in Tokyo is expensive so their mother had to work lots of jobs at once. And during their mother's absence, when Kenma was still young, Kana would always take care of him.

"I'm not exactly a kind person," he continued. "I took Suki because I thought it was a way for me to repay her for everything she did to me when she was alive. And I plan to tell Suki all about her when she's older."

She took care of Kenma like a mother would to her child, and Kenma is taking care of her own daughter like a father would.

Father, you suddenly thought. "Then, who's Suki's father?"

"I don't know." Kenma's answer was short and precise. He really doesn't know. "Whoever that bastard is, he didn't look for my sister or Suki. So I shouldn't concern myself with the likes of him."

"But what if one day he came and take Suki?" you asked.

It's not like Kenma had heard of the question for the first time. He had pondered that question more times than you would have imagined before.