she is the sun

it was his job. it always has been. from the day he was born, he knew he was made to make people happy. it didnt help that his gift was to entertain as well. it didnt help that he was born with this charm, this urge to make people smile. it was always his destiny to shine; it was always his destiny to be the sun.

But no. however much he shone, she shone brighter. Y/n L/n. the small innocent girl who bakes everyone cookies. the girl he cant seem to escape. everywhere he goes they talk of her and he just cant stand it.

Camilo madrigal was most definitely not a bad person. he was always just a little too competitive- even when it came to kindness.

"good morning juan!" The male waves with a bright smile, making flowery gestures with his rauna. "Thats a lovely shirt! i dont remember you wearing  that before- is it new?"

The older man waved back, laughing heartily. "how nice of you to notice! yes it is new- y/n made it just for me!"

with that camilo's expression visibly soured and he shook his head. The thoughts buzzed in his head and me mumbled angrily, making Juan raise his brows in confusion. The older man watches intently as the young mans pace quickens and he makes a sharp turn out of sight. 'I cant believe that girl got to him first! alright ms Y/n L/n, ill give you one point for that-'  Camilo grunts as his thoughts are suddenly interrupted. He rubs his chest, grumbling about how his day could get any worse.

"ow!" the voice is sickeningly familiar. Camilo's blood runs cold as he looks down at the small figure of the girl he so despised. her hair was strewn all over her face, once pristine dress dirtied with grime and soil. There was a basket next to her, full of the peonies she had diligently collected.  She was about to speak before he turned and started walking the other way, to which she gasped and hurriedly scampered up. "h- hey!"

'please, please, please abuelo, if youre listening, please keep her awa-' His brows furrowed as he felt hands grasp at his rauna. He pushes on, trying to ignore her pestering.

"C- Camilo, you're camilo right? Are you alright-?"

'mierdo abuelo!' the male cursed quietly abruptly stopping and causing the her to bump into him and tumble once more.

"oof- oh no, sorry-"

"get up." the stony nature of his voice scares even him and y/n flinches, backing away.

"s- sorry, didnt mean to- i-" she looks up at him with lost eyes, before scurrying away. Camilo watches, grimacing as he notices a slight limp to her stride, an apology stuck and dying in his throat. He watches as she picks up her basket, carefully picking up the flowers that fell off before walking away.

The male stood there for a moment. A turmoil had spread within him, and a strange sickening feeling. he had never acted that way towards anyone. He was always camilo madrigal. That kind benevolent boy who everyone loved. The boy who would be portrayed as the hero, and never the villain. But where was all this coming from? Camilo stared into his owns hands. Just what possessed him to do this? Eventually he found himself trudging home, head bowed low. The event seem to play over and over again and he cant seem to forget the sliver of fear he had caught in her eyes. The way the kindness was still there no matter how he acted. The way her bottom lip shook with fear and the way that her hands quivered. What had he become? Camilo sullenly opened the door to his room and his expression vividly softened. The bed creaked from his weight as he sighed.

For awhile he lay there, taking in his own actions with furrowed brows. He was never like this- when did competition poison him so much? he mulled over his thoughts once more. He had always had good sportsmanship. camilo loved to join competitions in the village. he wouldnt always win and he was okay with that. he had never reacted this way. not to his mom, not to his brother, not even to that one boy who used to pester him every day. this was a side of him that he didnt even knew existed, a side of that scared him to his very core.

Camilo remembers. He remembers the first three years without her. the villagers coming to see the new madrigal. He remembers their attention and awe as he played his trademark tricks. he remembers their gasps as he shapeshifted from person to person. he remembered the crowd that came to watch his one man plays daily. Its still the same now. he knows. the same people still gasp, the same people still go to watch him every week.  Its just that shes there. and it bothers him so much. shes there and he can hear her soft laughter. shes there and he can hear it as she distributes baked goods to the audience- his audience. camilo grits his teeth. 

"This is going no where!" He groaned, Kicking his feet against the headboard of his bed angrily. "its," thump. "so," thump. "annoying!" THUMP. " do i feel bad or what? gosh camilo, decide already!"

Camilo puffs his cheeks, flinching as he hears a knock on his door. His room instinctively changes to become orderly, bed being pushed against the corner, wardrobe closed and clean and laundry sorted into the hamper neatly. a floormat popped up from thin air as the door opened, Dolores  peeping her head through. she scans the room before her eyes land on camilos disheveled appearance.  

"Dios mio hermano! you look terrible!" Dolores walked over, fixing her brothers hair as she sighed. "and quit being so loud please, you know i hate it when you bang your feet against the wall! why are you so worked up anyway?'

"its nothing, dolores," the boy sighed woefully. "Nothing you should be concerned about anyway."

"please," Dolores laughed, shaking her head. she takes a seat next to him, a teasing expression making its way to her face. " is this about some girl?"

"no-!" Camilo shook his head feverently, gagging internally about what dolores was implying. "Just let me be dolores!" 

His sister chuckled, patting his head as he ducked away. She laughed even harder, walking towards the door and waving her hand dismissively. Camilo crossed his arms, brows furrowig as dolores continued to tease him. 

"Well, i just wanted to say tia julieta is preparing dinner, so you best go downstairs and wait. You dont want abuela to be mad again dont you?'

And with that camilo was left all alone.