VI: a stroll down memory lane

Harry walked the beaten, dirt paths, snatching anything of any value.  A bag of coins, a rusted key and an embroidered bracelet that Harry immediately slipped into his pocket.  Why?  Well, at this point in the story I think it should be fairly obvious.  The bracelet belonged to his dear Quintessa.

How this bracelet got into the hands of some filthy village kid, Harry had no clue. All he knew was that he had to keep it safe for her.

Now I'm going to tell you a story about this bracelet because the rest of Harry's day isn't interesting whatsoever.

Birthdays were never a huge thing on the Isle but the Queen of Hearts felt her baby deserved a celebration so every year, she sent Quintessa out to her favourite alley and had all her friends join her there.

This particular party, Quintessa was turning ten years old.  She waited in her favourite red dress with a pretty braid in her hair, perched upon a wooden railing while her mother collected her closest friends.

It didn't take long seeing as Quintessa's birthday was an annual thing. Soon enough, Carlos, Harry, Mal, Evie, Jay, Uma and Gil were entering the alley.

The Queen didn't tolerate any fighting between the children so Mal and Uma were often kept on opposite sides of the group. This was all fun and games, no different than any other year, and Quintessa went home happy that day.

It wasn't until the evening when she visited her rock did the day become truly special. Her dress splayed out around her, nestling in the dirt but Quin didn't mind. A little bit of dirt wouldn't harm her.

She scribbled down some lines in her sketchbook, her tongue poking out of the corner of her mouth.  Harry remembered the scene as if it were only a day ago.  He remembered so clearly how his heart thundered in his chest as he walked down the hill and how his hand clutched the gift he had made so tightly he feared it would break.

"Hey there, Princess."  He tucked the gift into his pocket and knelt in the dirt next to her, "Happy Birthday."

Quin looked down at him, her eyes glowing in a way Harry never imagined brown eyes could. He thought back to his own eyes, suddenly self-conscious of their pale blandness, and looked away.

"Oh, Harry," Young Quin smiled, "Thank you.  What are you doing here?"

Harry looked down at the sand as he fished for the gift that had made it's home in his pocket, "I came to give you something."  He pulled out the bracelet and held it up proudly for Quintessa to see.

Looking back, it wasn't that impressive.  It was some clay from the beach molded around a piece of wire, connected by yet another piece of wire.  But to ten-year-old Quintessa it was the most beautiful thing she would ever own.

She gasped, having never received such a gift before, "It's lovely!" The pride on Harry's face was almost a better gift than the bracelet, "Thank you so much, you're too sweet."

Harry took her hand and fastened the wire around her wrist, "I'm so glad you like it."

"What does it say?" Quin ran her fingers gently over the word carved into the clay. 'Princess', it read with a small, lopsided heart next to it. "Princess, oh Harry, you really are the best."

Harry beamed as Quin embraced him, the strong scent of her mother's rose perfume radiating off of the girl. 

They pulled away and Quin turned her attention to the sky, "Oh, it's getting late.  I should get home."

"I'm sorry I interrupted your drawing." Harry got to his feet and held out a hand for her to take.

"It's okay," Quin smiled as he hoisted her off the rock, "This was far better."

"Do you want me to walk you home?"

"No, Harry, I couldn't ask you to do that." Quin shook her head, "You live all the way on the other side of the Isle."

"I enjoy a good nighttime stroll." He winked and offered his arm.  Quin laughed and looped her arm through his, straightening her back and raising her head high.

"Shall we go then, my prince?" She asked in a posh English accent, marching off towards the Isle.

"We shall, Princess."