The Bracelet

Once upon a time, there is a girl living in the city of Vigan named Ava. Her being is the envious by almost all the girls in their place, Crisologo Street. Who wouldn’t be envious of her glowing skin? Or her beautiful round eyes? But nobody is perfect. She is blessed with beautiful appearance but she cannot have her dream of having a complete family. Her mother died when she gave birth with her. They’re not as wealthy as her relatives so Ava and her father Mateo chose to live to her aunt place, Amelia with her two daughters, Paisley and Eleanor.

As she grows up, the more she misses her mother. She witnessed how Amelia took care of her daughters. Preparing foods for her daughters, combing their hair, buying them beautiful clothes, kissing their forehead and singing a lullaby to make them sleep while treating Ava in the opposite manner. Her father is leaving for work before dawn. Meanwhile, Ava is waking up early in the morning to prepare breakfast for her aunty and her two cousins. After that, she’s also preparing the bracelets and necklaces she made with her passion and love which she intends to sell it to tourists that’s visiting their town.

“Ava, I'll go to work. Don’t forget to eat on time, okay?”

“Sure! Take care, father.”

“Don’t worry. Just a little bit and we’re going to Manila. In there, you won’t need to do all of these.” Mateo said, while holding and looking her daughter’s hand. “I love you, my daughter.” He said as he hugs Ava tightly before exiting the door. Ava smiled and waving to his father.

Ava closes the door but before she can do so, a hand stopped it from closing.

“Ouch!” A small shriek surprise her, she immediately opens the door and there, she sees a young lady looking at her hand innocently.

“I’m sorry, Flynn.”

“I’m just kidding, Ava.” Flynn giggling softly.

“Oh, Flynn! You got me there. What are you doing this early?”

“I just want to give you this bread. It is fresh and hot!” Flynn hand her over the bread, pandesal.

“Wow, thank you!” She gets the bread and tries one of it, she smiles brightly. “It sures hot and really bake well, Flynn. I love it.”

“I know you’ll like it.”

“You want some coffee?” Ava asked her best friend.

“Oh, silly. It’s okay besides your evil auntie might angry or shout at you when she saw you doing that.” Flynn jokingly said.

“You’re right.”

“Anyway, I have to go. My family will go to the market to buy Saya and Barong.”

“Saya and Barong? For what? Is it your mother’s birthday?”

“No, don’t tell me you did not know.”

“I-I really don’t know what you wanted to say.”

“The town is making a big banquet for Del Valle’s visitation.”

“Del Valle... you mean that wealthy family?”

“Yes, that’s why we’re going to Manila to buy new Saya and Barong for the banquet.”

“Oh I see.”
“Everyone is preparing for the occasion. Make sure you come, okay?” Flynn said but Ava knows that it won’t be easy to go there but she can’t tell Flynn. She’s pretty sure that her auntie will not allow her to go to big celebration like that. She remembers when she goes to Flynn’s birthday with her cousins. She attracts lot of people and because of her cousin’s stubbornness her auntie immediately told her to go home and clean the house.