III - WE'RE BEING PUNKED, PEDRO

Start from the beginning

   The rest of class whispered about them as they got up and left, going to find Alaric in the library. He didn't waste any time in getting to the point, as he broke the news of them all serving in detention by taking part in community service in the town square, just like anyone else who had been involved in the fight at the game. 

   "This makes no sense, dad." Lizzie protested, as the four followed him around as he collected books he wanted. "Why are we being punished?"

   Alaric turned to her with an exasperated look. "Because you started a brawl at a charity football game that risked exposing what we really do here."

   "Well, you weren't mad last night." Lizzie countered, unable to deny he was right.

   "I was mad last night." He corrected his daughter. "My undying love for my daughters just happened to trump my rage." He looked between the four of them. "I volunteered everyone in the game, so stop complaining. You're lucky it's just community service and not actual jail time."

   "You're making us clean up the mess of the other team also apart of the brawl, who aren't even being punished." Mira countered flatly. "I'd prefer the jail time.

   Alaric shot her a look, but Mira just held her hands up innocently. "Can I at least offer a rebuttal in my defense, if it please the court?" Alaric rolled his eyes slightly, but gestured toward Lizzie to continue. "First of all, I was provoked-- my response was totally proportional considering the levels of abuse that I was forced to endure." Hope chuckled, earning a glare from Lizzie yet again, before she hesitantly continued. "And secondly...if anyone should take the blame, it's Mira and Josie!"

   "Excuse you?" Mira stared at her in disbelief.

   Josie looked at her twin with eyes of betrayal. "What?"

   "I'm sorry." The blonde quickly apologized to the pair. "I totally cracked during cross, but if you had just let Kaleb catch the ball..."

   Josie scoffed incredulously. "Yeah, okay--"

   "You'd still be in trouble." Alaric cut them off before anymore bickering could take place.

   Hope sent Lizzie a bemused look. "But nice job throwing your sister and my cousin under the bus."

   Mira gestured to her cousin gratefully, sending Lizzie a frown as Josie looked at the eldest Mikaelson in surprise at her words. "Thank you, Hope."

   Lizzie gaped at the small exchange, looking at her sister with a glare, but Josie merely sent her an unbothered look in return. "Speaking of, the bus leaves in ten minutes, and I expect all four of you on it, working together today, harmoniously and without drama." Alaric warns all of them. "End of debate."

   "I wasn't even at the game." Hope pointed out, crossing her arms. "Why am I being punished?"

   Alaric just looked at her. "You know what you did." His words causing her to look away. "Alright, now, go, all of you." Lizzie and Josie knew better than to argue and left, Mira hesitating behind as she waited for Hope.

   "I'll catch up." Hope muttered to her, shaking her head.

   Mira gave a small nod and left her alone with Alaric, heading upstairs to prepare for the day of community service.

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *   *

   Everyone being punished was very reluctant to get on the bus to head into town, but given they had no other choice, they did. Lizzie had been staring Hope down the entire way, but Mira was determined to stay out of whatever argument was brewing between them. Instead, she spent the short ride into the town square sat with Theo, the pair splitting a packet of sour patch kids between them.