Chapter 1: Good time for a change

Start from the beginning

"Yep." Will snaps, immediately turning back to the Television, the blush no longer faint. Nick laughs at the reaction before asking Joyce if she would like to join them (much to her son's dismay). She turns to the screen as one of the two male characters, sits himself on the other's lap, locking them into an embrace. She looks again, briefly, to Will who seems to be purposely avoiding looking at the TV.

"That's ok" she smiles "I've got some work to finish up. Enjoy the rest of the movie and make yourself at home"

Nick gives a smile before turning his attention back to the film. Joyce heads toward the kitchen, but not before noticing the pillow had been moved entirely, and an arm was now wrapped round Will's shoulder, her son was slightly leaning in.

-------------------

October 1986.

"What did you wear on your first date?"

They're in Jonathan's room and Will is mindlessly looking through his brother's record collection. Jonathan looks over to Will, who clearly doesn't want to meet his gaze. They spoke a lot, about music, general how are yous, normal things brothers would talk about. The subject of dating, however, this was new.

"With Nancy?"

"Sure."

He's still looking at the records. Jonathan notes he must have flicked through them a few times at this point.

"Nothing too fancy" he starts, "We'd already been through too much to care" He pauses again, considering his next words carefully, knowing he'd have to approach this gently "But I'm guessing that doesn't help you too much?"

Will finally pulls himself away from the record collection, turning to face his brother. Jonathan notes that he looks like he's trying to find the right words to say, but isn't quite sure of how to say them.

"I have a date. Tonight." Will begins. Jonathan knows him well enough to sense that he's trying to gather the courage to continue.

"I figured that" He laughs, Will joining in. Jonathan notices a small bit of tension leave Will's shoulders, his brother relaxing for the first time since he'd entered his room that evening.

"So where are you going?"

"Mom's dropping us off at the movies"

Jonathan walks to his closet, Will's eyes following him the entire time, and begins filtering through a few shirts.

"Definitely not too formal then" He keeps his eyes on the clothes in front of him as he asks Will his next question. Something tells him that is what Will needs. "So, who is us exactly?"

It's silent for a moment.

"Nick. I'm going on a date with Nick" It comes out fast, and it takes them both a moment to register what he'd said.

Jonathan turns around just in time to see Will sit on the floor, a dazed look on his face.

"That's the first time I've said that out loud" he says quietly, and Jonathan thinks it's mostly to himself. Jonathan pauses considering what to say for a moment, not wanting to speak too quickly and say the wrong thing. He goes and sits next to him on the floor, placing a comforting hand on his shoulder.

"Thank you for telling me, but Will -" he sees his brother flinch and Jonathan rushes to finish his sentence "Nick is really not going to care what you're wearing" They both laugh again, but Will's is slightly subdued this time.

"Do you care- not about what i'm wearing but about, you know, me?"

Before Jonathan can give a response, El walks into his room. "Does anyone know how long Mom is going to be on the phone? This is the third day in a row that it has been over an hour and I'm waiting for a call from Mi-" She stops, looking between the boys, feeling Will's discomfort. "Are you ok?" She asks him.