A Child Changes Everything. [Held Hostage]

Start from the beginning

“I have to say, I’m not surprised. But I don’t blame you. I don’t think anyone would.”

“How can you say that?! I’m a horrible person, Hermione!”

“No you’re not.” She said sternly, taking your hand in hers. You were extremely shocked at your friend’s reaction. You were sure that she would hate you for hurting Harry. “Draco disappeared. You never got over him. And now he’s back. This relationship never ended for you, and Harry knows that.”

“I don’t know what to do, Hermione.”

“I know…Whatever you decide, just remember that there is no going back. Because this is the last time Harry will go through this. He’s not going to waste any more of his life on you.”

You were taken aback by her words. She set her glass down and stood up from the couch. She hugged you goodbye and then with a small pop, she Disapparated. You thought about a life without Harry and your chest felt like it began to tighten. You started your breathing exercises to calm yourself down. Rain droplets and thunder sounded from outside. You stood up and closed the living room window, then you curled up underneath a blanket on the couch and cried yourself into an uneasy sleep.

*             *             *             *             *

“Wake up, Kris!” You jolted up from behind the counter. Hailey came up behind you at the hostess stand.

“What? What’s happening?!” you asked, looking around at the empty restaurant.

“What’s happening is that you are falling asleep. Tom’s about to do his rounds.”

“Oh. Thanks Hail.”

“Why are you so tired?”

“I just… had a rough night.”

“Is it Draco?” Stacey asked, coming up to the hostess stand pushing a mop and bucket.

“No!” you said. You quickly realized she hadn’t been accusing you of anything, and that your reaction was instantly incriminating.

“What happened?!” They asked in unison, leaning forward.

“Nothing.” You said half-heartedly.

“Bullshit.” Hailey said, but Stacey elbowed her hard in the side. “Ouch!”

“Kris. Seriously.”

“Okay, something might have happened.”

“Shit, Kris! What about Harry?”

“Shut up, Hailey!” Stacey said exasperatedly.

“Girls!” Tom shouted. All three of you stood at attention as Tom walked out from the kitchen and toward you. You had to say, that was the first time you were grateful for Tom’s presence.

“Hey, Tom. What’s up?”

“Well, obviously it’s pretty dead right now. So I’m sending one of you home.”

“I’ll go.” You volunteered quickly. You already removed your apron before either of them could protest. “I’ve got to go get Kelly.”

Tom nodded and continued his rounds around the restaurant. You grabbed your bag and left without changing, not wanting to give Stacey or Hailey the opportunity to grill you anymore. You got into your car and made your way over to Draco’s. The ride wasn’t long enough to calm your nerves, so you sat outside of his apartment for a good half an hour before walking up to the front door. You knocked, and a burst of giggling could be heard from behind the door. Muffled shouting followed it, and then the door flew open. The first thing you saw was Draco, floating up by the ceiling. Kelly was holding the door open and laughing hysterically.

“What’s going on?!” you yelled, coming inside and closing the door quickly.

“Daddy’s flying!”

“No, Kelly. Daddy is being held hostage. There is a difference.” He said. She laughed and ran around the apartment. Your mouth hung open in disbelief. Draco gave you a pointed look. “A little help?”

“Oh, right. Kelly! Let Daddy down!”

“NO!” Kelly yelled. She ran into the bedroom and the door slammed behind her. You sighed exasperatedly and set your stuff down. You got up onto the couch and reached for Draco. He grabbed your arms and you tried pulling him down.

“Did you try Apparating?” You pulled hard and he lowered about half an inch from the ceiling. You couldn’t help but look up at him and see the humor in the situation. You laughed.

“Yes, I’ve tried everything! I’m glad that you are amused by this, but I’ve been up here for an hour now and I’m in desperate need of a bathroom.”

“KELLY!”

Suddenly, the laws of gravity seemed to apply again. Draco toppled out of the air and on top of you, the two of you collapsing onto the couch. You heard giggling again. You looked just in time to see Kelly’s head disappear from behind the door. Then you turned your attention back to Draco. He was hard to ignore, since he was on top of you.

“Draco—“

“I miss you, Kris.” He cut you off, taking the opportunity while you were trapped under his weight. “I love you and Kelly more than anything in the world.”

“Draco, stop.”

“I can’t get you to listen to me. Ever since the kiss. But it was amazing and—“

“Draco, please stop and get off of me.” You said, feeling heat rise up in your face. You found yourself remembering the last time you were in this position with Draco. The two of you were in the Room of Requirement. It took all your mental strength not to spread your legs apart underneath him as you relived the memory in your mind.

“Please let me finish. Kris, I’m so sorry I haven’t been there. I regret it every day. But you raising her all these years by yourself—“

“I wasn’t by myself!” you said, snapping out of your dirty thoughts. You felt a surge of energy course through your body and Draco flew off of you and onto the floor. You gasped and jumped down to see if he was okay. He sat up, rubbing the back of his head where it hit the coffee table.

“I’m so sorry! You just overwhelmed me.” You said, examining his head.

“It doesn’t hurt.” He stared at you with such an intense gaze. You recoiled from him, putting a comfortable distance between the two of you.

“I wasn’t alone, Draco. I was with Harry. I AM with Harry. Present tense.” You corrected yourself.

“But—“

“I’m not going to lie. I do have feelings for you, and I’m confused. But while Harry is out of town, I won’t cheat on him. He deserves better than that.” Draco looked disappointed, but he nodded that he understood.

“Kelly, we are leaving!” you yelled. Kelly ran out of the bedroom and grabbed your leg, pouting.

“Do we have to?”

“Yes.”

“But I want to play with Daddy!”

“Daddy’s all played out today.” Draco said, kneeling down and hugging her. “But if you are good, I’m sure Mommy will take you to get ice cream on the way home. How does that sound?” You shot daggers in his direction but he smirked and ignored you.

“Thanks for that.” You muttered as she ran out the front door to the car.

“You’re welcome. See you tomorrow?” You turned around, eyebrow raised. “To drop off Kelly.”

“Oh, right. Yes. Tomorrow.” You said awkwardly. He gave you a quick hug goodbye, his scent lingering in your nostrils even after he pulled away. You willed your legs to move, and forced your head not to look back to where he stood in his doorway watching you. This was going to be hard. Really, really hard.