𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐱𝐱𝐱𝐢.━━━ rebirth

ابدأ من البداية

'This better be good.' Alec groaned.

'Well the way I see it.' Kiara began. 'The Cup's our one bargaining chip. And it's also proven to be unsafe in the Clave's possession. And need I remind everyone, Valentine's been alive for years, undisturbed. I hardly think that he's been lying in a hammock by the beach, tanning. Instead class...'

Kiara looked at them all in mock of expectation.

'He could have members of the Clave on his payroll.' Isabelle slumped, closing her eyes.

'I see Izzy's the smart one in the family.'

'You know the witch-bitch, has a point Alec.'

Jace gave Kiara a sardonic smile, which she returned.

'So we keep the Cup close,' Clary grit her teeth. 'It would be safe and secure with only the five of us knowing where it is.'

'I don't like it—'

'No surprises—'

'Let me finish, Fray.' Alec glared at Clary. 'I don't like it but let's do it. Follow me.'

Alec marched off, leaving Clary to follow—half jogging—because the elder Lightwood took long strides. The remaining three loitered off in three different directions. Kiara slid out her phone. Apparently Simon has left her 23 voicemails so she might as well call him back.

Before she pressed the call icon, she caught sight of the date. 2 more minutes and it's her birthday. Huh. She was surprised with how little effect it had on her. She was about become 20 but there she was, at the precipice of a war.

'Hey, you've reached Simon's phone. You know—everybody's favorite geek. But if your last name's Chase please don't leave a message at the—'

Beep

'Hey Si, I'm sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. We had a little fiasco at the police station. I took a drug induced memory trip. And we got the Cup. I didn't check your voicemails, but whatever you were trying to tell me, I'm ready to hear it now. Call me back.'

The moment Kiara ended her voicemail, the ceiling lights glared red, and alarms blared from around the ops center.

The hybrid whipped her head around and joined Jace, Isabelle and Alec, who were staring at the previously uneventful hologram. Now there was a red circle was speeding inhumanly fast towards the Institute.

'I told you...'Alec started.'

'Don't say it.' Jace swung past the screen, twirling a seraph blade across his palm.

'What's happening?' Clary skidded to a stop beside Kiara.

'Someone's trying to break in.' Isabelle went after Jace, her whip uncoiling from her wrist.

'Could be the Circle.'

'Told you so.' Alec sniped.

'Too soon.' Kiara sighed.

Alec, Kiara, and Clary joined the other two outside the Institute. Despite the fact that the building was tucked in the middle of the city, it never looked darker. Like someone decided to draw a veil, shielding the skies and the city from the Institute itself.

Their only light was the ethereal glow of the Shadowhunters' weapons, and the shapeless silvery magic gloving Kiara's hand.

Even the sound of boots trampling grass, rumbling traffic, and chirping cicadas, was hushed. For someone who just stepped out of a church, Kiara felt like she had just walked into one, and there was a coffin by the alter.