Chapter 29: Pain, Inside and Out

Beginne am Anfang

Mei Lin grinned even wider before looking down under the table behind the nurse counter.

"We better leave before Syaoran finds us here" she whispered, meeting four wide smiles.

Tomoyo, Rika, Chiharu and Naoko crawled out from under the table one by one, dusting their clothes.

"That was too close" Naoko whispered.

"You bet it was" Rika muttered.

They all waited until Mei Lin removed the nurse's outfit she wore before they all silently ran down the hallway to the elevators, each blowing a kiss at Brick as they did.

*****

"Sakura, when are you waking up?" Syaoran whispered, covering his face with his hands. This was the only time he ever showed vulnerability, and that's because it was Sakura, he can always show or tell her anything…and also because no one was there to see him looking weak.

If he had only looked at her right then, he would have seen the side of Sakura's face twitch.

"I'm so sorry about everything, I wish I never even brought you to this kind of life" he continued, a tone of guilt in his voice as he now looked at her, resting his head on his palm as he leaned onto the side of the bed. "I promise, when you wake up, and when this is all over, I'm gonna take you away from this kind of life…no more enemies…no more danger…just you and me with the others. Just…please…wake up"

Syaoran almost looked hopeful for awhile before letting out an irritated sigh. It was like this every time he came to visit her early in the morning. He would sit down on his usual chair beside Sakura's bed and just talk to her, about anything, but mainly about the life he'll live with her when everything is over. Each time he did, he was hoping she would wake up, but to no avail, she never did. He had lost hope of her waking up anytime soon, but now that the time for them to land their final attack on the Kins, his hopes grew more…that he could at least talk to her, see her emerald eyes staring back at him before it happens, for he wasn't sure who survives, or who dies.

"I-I'll see again tomorrow" he whispered before standing up and giving her a quick kiss on her forehead like he always does.

Sighing for the last time, he looked at her motionless body on the bed, and then left the room in silence.

Moments after the sound of his departure, her eyes fluttered open, emerald eyes gazing at the door guiltily.

"I'm sorry Syaoran" Sakura whispered to herself. She felt bad for not letting Syaoran know that she was awake. In fact, she had been awake only yesterday around lunch time when the girls came to visit her. They had helped her recover quicker yesterday and had filled her in on everything that she had missed. She had been especially devastated on the news about her baby but she willed herself not to think about it…at least not until this is all over.

Sakura knew if Syaoran found out that she had woken up that he would spend his time with her instead of preparing himself for the upcoming mission. Most of all, he would also prohibit her from helping out and would do everything in his power to make sure of it.

"No…this is for the best" she told herself before sitting up on the bed and taking the cell phone the girls had left her that morning before Syaoran came.

Hitting 1 on speed dial, she was met with a rather seductive voice.

"Mei Lin" she guessed, now hearing a laugh from the other end.