Chapter 9: Discoveries

Start from the beginning

"Xiao Lang!" a mature female voice rang across the room. It was only then that Sakura noticed that they had stopped inside a huge elegantly furnished room.

"Mother" Syaoran said in a formal and serious tone as he hugged back his mother.

"Oh and Eriol! It's nice to see you both again" the woman said as she hugged Eriol as well.

"Mother, this is Sakura and Tomoyo Daidouji" it was then that something clicked in Syaoran's mind. He doesn't even know Sakura's surname. "Girls, this is my mother Yelan Li" Sakura and Tomoyo bowed their heads at this.

"Hmm…Sakura, you do seem very familiar…your name and your face. My friend from before had a cousin who was a Daidouji. Anyway, are you two sisters?"

Sakura then realized that the woman in front of them probably thought she was also a Daidouji by how Syaoran introduced them.

"Umm…sorry, but Tomoyo is the only Daidouji here. I'm a Kinomoto, Sakura Kinomoto" Sakura clarified.

Yelan and Syaoran stopped, as an imaginary chill ran down their backs.

"Excuse me, did you say Kinomoto?" Yelan repeated, walking closer to Sakura to study her features better.

"Hai. Do you know my family?" Sakura asked, oblivious to the looks she was getting from the two.

Yelan nodded her head and smiled. "Yes, as a matter of fact I do. Old family friends" Sakura nodded at this. "All of you, why don't we have a cup of tea?" Yelan took a small bell that Sakura had just noticed was on top of an expensive looking grand piano. Yelan noticed her look at the piano almost longingly. "Do you know how to play the piano Sakura?"

Sakura snapped away from her thoughts and looked up at Yelen. "Yes, my mother used to play the piano for me. She even composed a song which I now know by heart and is my favorite song of all"

"Would you mind if you play me that song? I also know a song my best friend composed for me. It was very soothing"

"I don't mind at all" Sakura smiled, she remembered what Syaoran had told her and she also wanted to play the song her mother taught her.

Sakura walked over to the chair and opened the closure of the piano keys. She positioned her fingers on the first notes to be played and closed her eyes. Her fingers pressed on the keys lightly as she started to play. Syaoran's expression was one of seriousness and sadness at the same time. Yelan looked like she was about to cry. Eriol looked at his relatives with curiosity. Tomoyo also had her eyes closed, remembering Sakura's 18th birthday when she played that very same song.

The calming melody filled the air and Sakura now had tears falling from her eyes. She stopped abruptly as the thought of her mother came into her mind and the fact that she knew she can never see nor talk to her again only made it worst. A hand rested on her shoulder in care, Sakura looked up and surprisingly, it was Syaoran's mother.

Yelan smiled sadly at Sakura. Now she knew that Nadeshiko, her best friend since childhood really was Sakura's mother. Sakura didn't know that her mother died months ago, and Yelan wondered why she was only informed about it now. She felt sad for Sakura, she and Nadeshiko were reunited a few years ago and only had a few times to see each other. Yelan never knew her only daughter was left and stuck in Japan all by herself and only finding out her mother's death a few months after it already happened.