There are two types of people in AP Biology: those who take it just for extra credit and those who take it because they're actually good at it.

Amala falls into the latter category.

When it comes to general sciences, Amala finds that she doesn't really care for them. However, Biology is an exception. Ever since middle school, the raven genuinely enjoyed the class. Maybe it was because of the teachers, or even the subject itself, but Amala looked forward to it every week. She had the grades to prove it, too.

When she finally got to highschool, Amala knew that she wanted to take it as an AP class. So, the second they were given the option, she signed up for it as well as three other AP classes: English, Psychology and Physics.

Walking into class today, Amala took a seat in her usual spot; second row, middle table, behind Joanna-Lee (who gives her a wave as she walks in). Behind her, Marissa Hansen drums her hands against her desk as Ashley Bennett types away on her phone.

Beyond that, Amala isn't really friends with anyone in class (Akira doesn't take AP Biology, she prefers Chemistry, instead).

Before the teacher walks in, the raven busies herself with her books, opening her notes and taking out her pencil case, deciding what colored pens to use for this particular chapter and so on. Several minutes pass and by that point, everyone had settled down. The teacher, Mr. Davis, walks in and starts his lesson.

"What does Mendel's first concept state?" Mr. Davis asks at some point during the class. "Yes, Amala?"

"It states that alternative versions of genes are the cause for variation in inherited traits or characters." Amala says, putting her hand down.

"Very good."

Amala smiles softly, happy to have gotten the answer correct. She looks back down at her notes, but not before she catches the eyes of Peter Parker. For a short second, they make eye-contact, before he quickly darts his eyes elsewhere.

Amala's eyebrows furrow in confusion but she brushes it off and focuses on what her teacher is saying.

Several minutes pass and Amala feels as though she's being watched. She turns to her right and is met with Peter's stares, again. She looks at him once but this time, she smiles at him.

Peter's cheeks darken, embarrassed to have been caught, and returns the smile shyly before gazing elsewhere.

For the next twenty minutes, Amala and Peter are in a constant dance of eye-contact. Every couple of minutes, Amala would feel a searing force hit her side and she'd turn around. Every single time, Peter would be staring at her until he knew he got caught. Then, his eyes would widen and he would look away.

By the final minutes of the class, Amala was beyond confused. Why did he keep looking at her? She tried fishing for an answer in her head but came clean each time. There was no clear reason why he kept staring at her. Amala figured things might still be a little weird after their awkward encounter yesterday but assumed it was just a first time thing.

"Alright, before I let you all go, I'm going to assign a project due for two weeks." Mr. Davis says, snapping her out of her thoughts. "You'll be working in pairs — and no, you cannot choose those pairs."

Several students visibly sighed in disagreement.

"What if I don't like my partner?" Asks Kaylee Bryant from the back of class.