𝚏𝚘𝚛𝚝𝚢-𝚝𝚠𝚘

Start from the beginning

She sighed and stood up. "I should probably make sure the house isn't at least super awful for when he gets back. I'm gonna head home."

"I'm coming with you," John B added as he stood up with her.

The girl gave him a soft, almost sleepy smile. She always smiled that way after laying in the sun for a while. He always thought it was the cutest thing. He wrapped his arm around her shoulders as they walked down the dock, returning the goodbyes that pogues called after them.

"How are you doing?" He asked her softly.

His arm rose as she shrugged. "I have absolutely no idea honestly." A deep breath filled her lungs. "It's like- I don't want to be happy he's dead, but I know part of me is. I just wish I had never found myself in a situation that made me glad that someone died...ya know?"

John B nodded. He didn't say anything but simply cupped his hand around the back of her head, moving it closer to kiss the top of it. They walked to the Twinkie, comfortable in silence as the sun dipped below the horizon.

The van rumbled as they pulled in along the gravel driveway. The two hopped out of the vehicle and walked up the stairs to the front porch. Affinity pulled the door open, the last bit of sun illuminating the bestowed living room. It still felt so empty. She sighed and stepped inside. Everything had kind of been left in disarray. It was a snapshot of a normal day that came to a screeching stop almost a month ago, practically frozen in time. Her clothes were left strewn on the floor after a quick change into a swimsuit to meet on the Pogue. Her dad's old mugs sat on the edge of the sink. He hated coffee, but always bought mugs because he assumed that was the "adult" cup to drink out of. It was always filled with water or sweet tea.

The sink was full of dishes, which naturally brought in flies and a wonderful, subtle stench. Affinity wrinkled her nose.

"Okay, so that certainly needs to be done," she said, sticking out her tongue. She started to count off on her fingers. "I gotta do laundry, clean up the counters, sweep vacuum, take out the trash, general pick up too." She let out a quiet groan. "Fun."

John B bumped her with his hip as he stepped past her to grab the broom. "We, Fin."

"Oh, John B, you don't have to help me with anything. Seriously, it's okay."

He kissed her forehead when he passed by her again to begin sweeping the kitchen tiles. "Shut up."

She tried to hide her smile. "I love you."

"I know," he grinned, sending her a wink.

So they got to work. Affinity wandered to her room and her father's, collecting laundry and tossing them into the plastic basket. She stopped before the washing machine and peeled off her cropped band tee, leaving her in nothing but a sports bra and athletic shorts. John B swept in circles but as soon as his sight shifted across Affinity, he halted. Affinity couldn't deny that she may have been egging on his attention.

"I can feel you staring," Affinity chuckled, not taking her eyes off the machine display because she knew if she looked at him, she would start blushing.

John B cleared his throat. "Well, uh- is that a problem?"

"Nah," Affinity shrugged.

He knew what she was trying to do, and this game was for two players. He pulled his t-shirt over his head and chucked it so that it landed over her head. Affinity tugged it off so she could send him a look. A snarky remark was going to come out of her mouth, but once he locked his gaze with hers, she suddenly forgot what she was gonna say.

"You know, while you're doing laundry," he said, clicking his tongue.

She knew he was proud of that one. Affinity hummed to herself as she tossed his shirt in the wash, turning the setting to the most lengthy cycle.