Act 2, Scene 3 - A Chance Encounter

Start from the beginning

"Oh, Eleanor,"

Her gaze follows the sound of the voice, looking down at William standing at the bottom of the staircase, accompanied by a few other passengers.

"William, I didn't expect to run into you."

Stood a few paces from the Moriarty brother is a taller man with dark blue eyes and long hair an even deeper shade of blue, lazily pulled back into a ponytail with a few hairs around his face. He's wearing brown brogues and a navy suit with a white shirt —the top buttons undone and no tie under the collar. His expression seems somewhat amused and also cocky, his hands in his pockets as he stares back at her.

She clears her throat. "Sorry, is this a friend of yours, William—"

"We've only just been acquainted, actually," The dark-haired man grins.

One of the women steps forward, placing a hand on his shoulder. "We're in the middle of a bet. See, this man has been able to determine everyone's profession that's walked past us. He's made ten correct assumptions so far. Would you care to join?"

Eleanor brushes a loose strand of hair away, an awkward smile on her face. "Why not? Have a stab at it."

Taking a precise step forwards, the man removes a hand from his pocket, running it through his dark locks.

"Why it's rather elementary. She's an actress."

Raising her eyebrows at his smug demeanour, Eleanor crosses her arms. "Is that so? What makes you think that?"

"It was very clear from the moment you walked down the stairs. Similar to Mr Mathematician here, you were admiring the staircase," He begins. "And how you admired it is important. You held onto the bannister, appreciating the stonework of the angel statue on the column as you went with a certain grace as you walked."

"What makes you think she's not a dancer?" William questions.

He sniggers. "Her grace falls just short of that of a dancer and her posture is not nearly adequate enough for ballet."

Eleanor narrows her eyes. "Your point?"

Sensing her irritation, he continues. "It appears that the angel statue is somewhat similar to the statue inside the Gaiety Theatre in the West End and its likeliness is reflected in a statue inside the St James' Theatre. Nevertheless, I could have been made to think that you were a musician, judging by your piano playing upstairs. However, as an avid violin player, I know first hand that if even a few days go by without practice, my skills are rusty. You seem to be unpractised and therefore it's either a hobby or a skill from your childhood."

After a moment of silence, the group looking on, Eleanor cracks a pained smile.

"Your assumptions are correct, I'm an actress."

One of the ladies claps her hands together, rushing forward. "I didn't want to spoil the game but aren't you Eleanor Williams?"

"I am indeed," She smiles a more genuine smile.

"I saw your performance the other night, you were outstanding!" The lady beams and Eleanor thanks her. "That must be how you knew she was an actress!"

The man scoffs slightly. "I don't wish to offend, but I don't have much interest in theatre."

With a discreet roll of her eyes, Eleanor places a hand on the bannister, about to turn back around. "I'll be excusing myself now, but well done—"

"—that's not all."

He walks closer to the staircase, his eyes doing a quick once over of her dress.

"This young lady isn't here specifically for the ballet. No," He smirks. "She's here with a gentleman friend and to impress him as well. Yes, this young lady hasn't been the luckiest in love, but it seems her luck is changing."