I try not to think about it any longer. That night left me with a lot of unanswered questions and new feelings. When I was singing and dancing with Harry that night I felt like I finally found what I've longed for. He made me feel so free and happy. My heart nearly burst out of my chest as he spun me on the dance floor and his arms were wrapped around me. It all felt so perfect.

Santiago snaps me out of my thoughts and I pretend I didn't just zone out.

"Yes, him. You did an amazing job! I was so proud. I had your brother, Alex show me how to find the video online. I meant to call and congratulate you but I've been so busy at work."

"I appreciate it and I completely understand."

Santiago owns a construction company in Iowa. It's extremely successful and he's basically super loaded but you couldn't tell just by looking at him. He's been working on starting a company here since he says he misses home so he's been driving back and forth a lot. He insists it gives him a better idea of what he wants to create. My father scoffs and continues cutting up the firewood.

"What is it, David?" Santiago asks, rubbing his hands together. "What's got you huffing and puffing like a little kid?"

Santiago laughs but I remain stoic. My father gets angry around Santiago but not the way I have seen him. He usually lets whatever bothers him go when Santiago is around but he always comes back to it later.

My father shrugs, "Don't encourage her, Santiago."

I try my best not to roll my eyes and simply cross my arms and look down at my feet. I can feel Santiago's eyes going back and forth to me and my father but I choose to ignore it.

"Encourage what, David? Her dreams?"

Oh no. My father hates anyone talking back to him. I want to break my silence and plead Santiago to stop. He shouldn't upset my father. Usually he's kinder during Christmas time but by challenging him the way Santiago is doing right now, my father can flip.

"Santiago, you really think what she's doing is going to get her somewhere? She hasn't even been on anything else since that silly video."

I clench my fists and refuse to look up at my father.

"David, she's living on her own in New York City. Hasn't asked for your help once and was in a very popular artist's music video. I don't even listen to that kid's music but I know he's big. Pretty soon we'll be lining up to see her in theaters," Santiago says, rubbing my back.

I look up at him with tears in my eyes and smile at him. My father scoffs and stops chopping up the firewood.

"You don't know what you're talking about. She isn't your daughter, this isn't your family. You don't know what's best," my father argues.

Santiago seems taken aback by his reaction but to me this is completely normal. Finally, for the first time ever, he has taken notice of my father's temper.

Santiago stands up straighter, "Maybe not. But trust that she does."

My father is about to comment back when my mom peers out the door and yells, "Breakfast!"

My father throws the ax angrily to the ground and stomps inside. I stand there for a moment when I feel Santiago's hand on my shoulder. I look up at him and he looks down at me sadly.

"Your mother had said he worked on his anger," he says. "She lied, didn't she?"

My heart breaks at his words. All this time I thought Santiago did not know about my father and his anger issues. Now everything starts to fall into place. His regular calls when I was younger. His random visits. It all adds up. Santiago knew.