A Call to Adventure

Start from the beginning

The alleged 'Darkspawn' Jasper had called out was a teenager, perhaps even younger than Alice.

Two Heliodorian Soldiers and one guard surrounded the Luminary and his blue-haired companion before they could escape, cornering them in and onto the stage where more armored men surrounded them. I watched as the two fought, and as much as I wanted to help, it was not my place. The Luminary was the main character of this story; I was nothing more than an NPC.

He'll be fine. Won't he?

I ignored my concerns, returning to Coral House.

"And with the demise of the wicked metal slime, the prince broke the curse on Goorora with a kiss and the two lived together happily ever after

"And with the demise of the wicked metal slime, the prince broke the curse on Goorora with a kiss and the two lived together happily ever after. The end," I recited.

Six-year-old Carina smiled, curling up beneath her floral blanket.

"I was so scared Goorora would never wake," she uttered.

I grinned.

"The metal slime was no match for the love the prince had for Princess Goorora."

Enzo, the oldest, faked a snore.

"Love stories are boring," he uttered.

Eight-year-old Arlo a bed over agreed with a nod.

"There wasn't enough action. The prince beat the slime without much of an effort," he mentioned.

"I thought it was a wonderful story," Carina argued. "Love stories aren't meant to be full of action."

I hummed.

"Some are."

Stories like Romeo and Juliet, or the Odyssey.

"I want to hear one; a good one with lots of action," Enzo ordered.

He was a needy kid, but no less good.

"That's not a part of the deal; one story, then bed. It was Carina's turn to choose," I brought up. "But next time, I will tell you all about Goodysseus and his journey home to see his wife and son."

"Is there a happy ending?" Carina asked.

Arlo grunted.

"Don't spoil the ending."

"Wait and see," I mentioned, giving her a wink. "Now off to bed with your lot."

Carina laughed and pulled her blanket up to her shoulders.

"Good night, Miss Alice," she uttered.

The boys followed suit.

Leaving them to rest, I sauntered down the stairs to a dark and empty living room; the faint scent of ash cakes from dinner still lingered in the warm air.

Did Lucia go to bed already? I don't blame her if she did. Running after kids at her age must be tiring. One of the reasons I moved close to the orphanage once I became of age was to help her out. She raised me after all. And since the others from my group were gone; some moved from Gondolia while others made a life of their own inside the city, Lucia needed all the help she could get to raise Enzo, Arlo, and Carina, at least for now.