A Call to Adventure

Start from the beginning

"Tempest, I need a moment," I shouted.

The said slime rammed the Gnawchid again sending it off balance and giving me a moment to cast an elemental spell. A bolt shot down from the sky and electrocuted it, killing it rather quickly. The beast fell over and faded in a haze of purple, leaving behind a seed of Faerie Fluff that I pocketed with glee.

"We did it," I uttered in disbelief.

Tempest leaped into my arms. I was proud.

"We beat it ... we actually beat it."

I hugged him tight and bounced in excitement. At last Alice and I passed our first milestone. I knew she was just as proud as I was. It took nine long years of grueling training, but we could finally set out on our own and discover the secrets of Erdrea.

Glancing down at Tempest I noticed how dirty I made him; his body was frozen and covered in mud much like mine.

"It's time we went home," I mentioned. "You and I could use a warm bath."

Tempest cheered in agreement.

We took our time returning to the city, but as we exited the gate around noon, I hummed in confusion upon seeing the new faces of travelers crowding the streets. What was going on? The only time I had ever seen so many people was during the contest Gondolia held each year. But that wasn't until later. Wasn't it?

I walked over to the closest kiosk, a weapon shop, clearing my throat. A familiar man with slicked-back hair smiled at me.

"Alice. Welcome. I haven't seen you around in a few days."

"I've been gathering material for Gianni in the region," I explained.

An uproar on the street drew my attention a brief moment as a group of soldiers from Heliodor marched by. I recognized the symbol on their armor, a cross fleury. But what were they doing here? Seldom did they come to Gondolia unless an issue arose. I was curious, but it wasn't my business.

"What has the city so in a rush? Is there a festival going on?" I asked.

The merchant widened his eyes.

"Have you forgotten? It's time for the Signor Universo contest."

Was it? I must have lost track of the year. Damn.

"I am sorry," I uttered. "But I need to get home."

"It's no problem. I imagine you are eager to see Lucia and the kids again," the merchant mentioned.

Alice and I are.

Saying my farewells to him, I hurried down the brick walkway towards the stage, but as I crossed the bridge near the orphanage, I heard a voice call out to the crowd.

"Listen, and listen well," an older man with narrowed eyes shouted. He stood on the stage where the contest was held, dressed in an ornate suit of silver and gold armor. "I, Jasper, knight of Heliodor and trusted retainer of His Majesty, King Carnelian... Come before you to tell you that the very Darkspawn himself is among us. The bedeviled child who brought about the destruction of Dundrasil,"

Wait! What? He was a knight? Was King Carnelian the reason the soldiers of Heliodor were in Gondolia? To search for the Darkspawn.

I had heard about this from Gianni. Seven years before I came to Erdrea, Dundrasil Castle northeast of the Laguna di Gondolia region was destroyed by monsters. It was rumored that the fated Luminary, champion of Erdrea was the reason for its fall, bringing darkness to the world. A typical RPG plotline. But I had a hard time believing it.