"You're late then." James said, jumping on a stool "She's not here anymore."

"Who's not here anymore?" Regulus asked, elbows resting on the counter.

James looked to the side, breathing out heavily "Like you don't know. You always know." he said, "Y/N left a day after Sirius rescued her from your house. Must say you did a number on her. Is mommy proud?"

Regulus huffed, turning away from James as he covered his mouth with his fist. He mumbled something, knowing James didn't hear a thing. He dropped his hand, eyes finding his "You know better than that." he accused bitterly.

"Do I?" James asked with a chuckle "Because last I checked she was the one thing left that mattered to you."

Regulus moved his eyes away, looking down to his palms with pursed lips.

"Shit," James laughed with amusement "The day has finally come that you are left with no words, no clever answer." he teased, his smile bright.

Regulus didn't say anything. Let him enjoy it as he drank from his own sorrow like water after a day out in the sun, he deserved it. He only watched from his end of the counter, silent. They did say that everything returned to a person, one way or the other it all came back to the source.

"Fine." James said, biting down on his lip to force the smile down "I'll bite, then. Why are you here, Reggie?"

Regulus knew he was about to erase the smile from his face once again, somehow it didn't bring him the relish he was accustomed to the moments before he spoke and wiped out the annoying brightness off of someone's face.

"To apologise." he said calmly.

And there he saw it fall, right before his eyes. Regulus had taken him to the stars and pushed him back to earth, the light out of reach but forever in his sky. Now he had found the sun that pulled him from the darkness, just when he learned how to shine in the night sky.

"What?" James murmured, trembling back as he raised his hand when Regulus attempted to speak "I heard you." he said, closing his eyes. "I'm not asking that, I'm asking what-what," he pressed two fingers against his lips, taking a deep breath in as his eyes opened again "What are you doing?"

Regulus took a deep breath in, lowering his head "I'm trying to apologise."

James nodded fast, his head never stopping going up and down in short movements, his finger drumming in the air as he pointed it at Regulus "Alright." he said, flying his hands in the air "Apology accepted. Sirius is about to wake up so you better leave before he sees you and kills you. We don't want him in Azkaban for murdering his brother. I'll walk you to the door."

"James." he called softly, time and time again as the taller Gryffindor rambled.

Then they heard the door and froze, the outdoor noise swimming in with your voice. "Hello Mr. Potter. Is Sirius awake?" you asked hurriedly.

"I don't believe so, no." Fleamont answered. Regulus and James ran to the wall of the door, backs flushed against it as they hid. "You're welcome to wake him up, you know where his room is."

"Thank you." you breathed out, walking past him.

James had been peeking through the door, watching you as you entered. His arm was across Regulus' chest, he cocked his head in your direction outside the kitchen, the silent question about your presence asked with wide eyes. Regulus limited himself to a slow shake of his head, James' arm still keeping him in place as you rushed up the stairs, stopping midway as you turned down to the hall with a frown. James thrusted his body back as your eyes fell on the kitchen entrance. You took it all in, feeling something out of place, but soon your steps resumed and you were out of sight.