1

Galileo looked at Kami's mom with hopeful eyes, wishing she was walking to give him food. She came closer and closer to the cage. Yes, Galileo thought, She's coming towards me!
She grabbed the food off the countertop, swaying ever so slightly.
If I could've jumped for joy I definitely would have.

But then she put the food down, chuckling to herself, and grabbed the Bud Light that was sitting beside it. My stomach clenched, So close!
She stumbled over towards the couch, tripping and knocking my cage off the table as she did so. I heard her curse but she didn't come pick up the cage.

I sighed inwardly and tucked himself into my shell. Good thing I'm a turtle, I thought, hoping my stomach was growling loud enough for Kami's mom to hear. Of course if Kami were here it wouldn't matter. My stomach would be full and I would be loved on, and occasionally, I would get to swim in the bathtub. But Kami wasn't here.

I felt something hot boil up inside of me. It was a strange feeling, something I had only experienced once before now. That was when I had been sick. Kami had taken me to the cursed vet, who plunged a needle into my leg, and gave Kami white cylinders to crush into my food.

They were disgusting.

But this feeling was different. It didn't make me want to curl in my shell in the corner. In fact, it made me want to run as fast as a turtle can. I may have never felt this feeling, but I sure have witnessed it. It reminded me of when Kami would work on some papers at the table. Or when her mom got and envelope in the mail. It was frustration, I realized.

I wasn't sure what it meant, but once Kami had asked her mom why she was so frustrated after she received an envelope in the mail. I thought the word was interesting and locked it way back into the deepest chambers of my mind. Kami's disappearance had shown me where the key to that chamber was, little food had shown me how to unlock it, and lying upside down on the ground had let it escape. The feeling of frustration now roamed free in my body.

Deep breaths, Galileo, deep breaths, I told myself. Kami will be home soon. Then you can have as much food as you want.

I heard Kami's mom get off the couch and shuffle into the kitchen, grumbling to herself. "Dumb turtle!" she said when she saw me on the ground. She kicked the cage, rattling the bars, but she kicked with just enough force to tip me back into position. I popped my legs and head out just in time to see her stumble to her room and slam the door shut.

Good riddance, I thought as I stretched my legs before beginning to move to the corner where I could curl up and sleep.

*^*
The sound of the screen door slamming shut startled me awake. I saw a pair of sandaled feet in my line of vision. Kami! I thought. I inclined my head upward to look at Kami's face. Except it wasn't Kami. It was a young woman, with fiery red-orange hair and strange clothes.

She knelt in front of me, picking up the cage carefully. My head began to pound. It felt as if it were going to split in two, but then suddenly, the pain subsided. There was a difference though, I could feel a presence.

Galileo, it said, I have a proposition for you.

I nearly jumped out of my shell. Who are you? I asked the presence.

You may call me the Shadow Queen, it said, And I must ask you to come with me.

Come with you to where? I questioned.

To Egypt, where your beloved Kami is waiting for you, the Shadow Queen offered.

My heart leapt at the thought of seeing Kami again. Kami's there?

Yes, and she asked me to come find you. She is in danger, and I need you to help me.

Of course I'll help. When will we leave?

Now, if you're willing.

Yes! I replied almost immediately, take me to Kami.

Very well, Shadow Queen unlatched the cage and gently held me in her smooth hand. She stood and turned to walk to the door. Just then, Kami's mom came out of the bedroom.

"Hey!" she shouted, "That's my daughter's turtle!" She began to run towards us, tripping all the while. Shadow Queen waved her hand, and a creature much like a bat flew in the trailer, wrapping itself around Kami's mom, who wailed in agony and collapsed.

"Thank you, dearest. Now, take us home," the Shadow Queen ordered. The creature grew larger, and larger, until it was larger then the queen. It latched it's feet to the Queen and began to fly out the door, carrying us with it.

I had always wondered what it would be like to fly. I would watch the bird's outside through the small window and think; it would be so fun to do that, to roam free through the sky, not trapped behind bars.

Now that I was up here I realized: birds were made to fly, turtles were not. As amazing as it felt to have freedom, I was scared out of my turtle wits. So I did the natural thing and hid in my shell.

Galileo, there is no reason to be afraid. Come on out, see the world. The Shadow Queen was speaking to me in my head again. I slowly inched my head out, peering below at the trees and buildings whizzing past.

Please don't drop me, I pleaded.

There was a beautiful laugh that rang through my head, much like Kami's. It brought a warm feeling inside me and my heart began to race. Oh Kami, I can't wait to see you!

All in good time, The Queen promised. I wriggled in excitement.