You Deserve It

It was the crack of dawn. The sky was still dark blue as the sun barely started taking over the sky. Being awake this early was not unusual for Andy. After all, he was a farmer, it was part of farm life. The unusual part was how ill he felt. He was definitely sick, his whole body felt drained and stiff despite having a full night of rest. He felt lightheaded. His stomach hurt and he felt nauseous. He should rest, he knew he should. But he had a lot of work to do. So, despite his body begging for him to not move, he got ready to work. He took his ax out, his first chore was chopping firewood, he hoped work would distract him from… well everything he was feeling at the moment.

Andy had already run out of breath and he hadn't even finished his first chore of the day. He had only chopped a few logs in half before his shaking limbs were screaming at him to stop. Andy closed his eyes and took some breaths before getting back to work. He had to pull through, work wouldn't do itself after all. Still, he knew it was gonna be a long day.

Andy was picking the apples that had fallen on the ground. Though it was still morning the sun had risen and the day was already hot. Andy slowly and steadily filled his basket with apples, then started carrying them to Margaret, who had requested that he bring some to her. He finally made it to the field Margaret was working on, but just before he could call out to her, he suddenly felt very dizzy and dropped the basket, spilling its contents. Margaret of course turned to the source of the noise, now facing Andy. The Apple did his best to appear full of energy, plastering a big goofy smile on his face. "H-Hey Margaret! Sorry about that! Lost my grip." Andy nervously chuckled, then started picking up the fallen fruits. "It's alright Andy. You just startled me, that's all. Thanks for bringing me the fruit." Margaret took the basket from Andy, which was once again full of apples. Andy took a step back from Margaret, he didn't want her to notice how tired he probably looked. "No problem Margaret! I'll see you later!" He waved goodbye to Margaret. "Bye Andy."

Andy disappeared into the trees, making sure to stay out of view. He couldn't let the others see that he was sick. They needed him to be able to help! He couldn't just spend all day in bed. Andy once again felt a massive head rush as he walked, he leaned against a tree for balance and waited for his vision to clear. His legs wobbled, and the nauseating feeling returned. Andy stayed still for a bit, hoping that would somehow make him feel better. It did nothing, of course. He still felt terrible. But he refused to give in. Andy took the long route to his house, still using the trees to hide himself. His walk was painfully slow and unsteady, it felt like he was getting weaker with each step.

Through the trees, he got a glance of the lake. The late morning sun glistened on its calm blue waters. Andy spent an undetermined amount of time just watching the water. He felt… odd around the water. He loved the lake, he loved swimming, but for some reason, he recently felt nervous around it. Ever since the day Felix stole his keys… he couldn't look at most things the same way he used to. There were a few moments even looking his friends in the eye felt like a challenge. He couldn't tell them that, of course. No. That would be cruel of him to say. 

Andy's train of thought was broken by a familiar scratchy voice. "Hey man." Felix called, snapping Andy out of his stupor. How long has he been zoning out at the lake? Andy strained to smile. "Hi Felix. What are you doing here?" Andy tilted his head curiously. Felix looked up at him. "Looking for you, man. I need your help." Felix stated casually, it was a pretty common occurrence for Andy's friends to request his help. He was always up for it! That's what he was there for! No matter how tired he felt! "Sure Felix. W-What do you need?" Andy's strained voice wavered, a result of his throat being sore, he silently prayed that Felix wouldn't notice. Thankfully he didn't seem to. Felix tugged on Andy's green sleeve, trying to guide him to where he wanted them to go. "Come with me, I'll show you." Felix practically dragged Andy along to the doc, revealing his fishing boat, which was currently on the shore. The boat had a large hole in it, making it practically useless until it's repaired. Felix let go of Andy. "Do you think you can fix it?" Andy gave a shaky thumbs up, his throat begging him not to speak. "Aw thanks man! You're the best!" Felix wandered off, leaving Andy. Andy sighed, then went to his house to pick up his toolbox. It didn't take him long to return to the boat, ready to work.