Chapter 2

Maithili started polishing her eye lashes. It was an important day for her. From that day a new journey was going to begin for her. To ensure she succeed in whatever she had set out to do her father had arranged a grand Lakshmi Puja in their house.

The Arora's worshipped Goddess Lakshmi for past several generations. However it was after seven generations a daughter had come into their family. Deepak's parents were reluctant to accept her initially, now

Maithili sighed. They had believed what their son told them. she was the apple of their eye. They had weaved dreams around her. Not only them, but the entire Arora family considered her a lucky omen and a blessing from Goddess Lakshmi. She closed her eyes and remembered the day when she had formally become part of Arora family.

"Welcome ladies and gentlemen. Now you all of will be thinking whether the rumours about Deepak Arora's daughter is true. I have called this press conference to tell you the truth and also formally introduce you to my princess Maithili Arora.

You all would be wondering how Deepak Arora a bachelor has a daughter. Let me tell you years ago I was in a relationship with someone. We wanted to get married but our career paths forced us to part ways. Later I had some short term relationships but nothing worked out. I had decided to be a bachelor for life continuing being a designer. Also the work of rehabilitating widows from Vrindavan and creating awareness among people not to abandon widows kept me occupied in my free time.

It was then four months back I received a call from my ex lover. She has diagnosed with cancer and was in last stage. She said she wanted to meet me urgently. I went to meet her, where she disclosed to me about a daughter born to us. She said she didn't share that news to me because she didn't want to trouble me for anything. However once death was so eminent for her she didn't want our daughter to be an orphan. She wanted her to have a family. Hence she had decided to inform me.

She mentioned she will not force Maithili on me. It was my decision to do what I want. I didn't have to think twice when I met Maithili what I wanted. I wanted her, here in Delhi in this house. I discussed with my parents, my lawyers on how to proceed legally in giving Maithili my surname. They all advised DNA test. It was done and the test proved beyond doubt she is my daughter. I had not made this public because Maithili's mother passed away just a month back and I wanted to complete all her after death rituals.

Before I ask Maithili to come down I have to make a request to all of you. Please no questions about Maithili's mother. She had always wanted privacy and I don't want that privacy to be intruded post her death," Deepak Arora concluded the speech and looked around. When he got confirmation no one will question about his ex lover, he made the next announcement.

"So now I am introducing to you my daughter Maithili Arora, a girl whom my entire family considers blessing of Goddess Lakshmi. She is a diamond that has been gifted to us after seven generations of doing relentless worship of the Goddess."

Maithili could feel the cameras on her as she came down the oval steps dressed in a white lehenga designed exclusively for her by Deepak. The diamond jewellery gifted by Deepak's mom Sumitra Arora added spark to her face. She came down and bowed gracefully to the gathering.

"Thank you everyone for this warm welcome. It's a special feeling for me to know that I have a family. I will also strive hard to take the name of Arora family to further heights. I want my father to be proud of me," mentioned Maithili as cameras snapped pictures.

"Maithili aren't you ready yet, "Sumitra Arora's voice broke her reverie. She replied back she was almost done and would be there in couple of minutes. Three years had gone since that fateful evening. In the three years she had worked as an intern with her father first and then launched her own brand a year back. Ghavi became an instant hit and Maithili Arora became the talk of the town.