"Thank you so much, thank you and i promise to make it up to you. I will also give you the apple pies." I whisper still hugging her.

"You don't have to thank me, what are friends for." Paloma says smiling up at me.

♤♤♤♤♤

Arriving at the office, I put my handbag on the desk, running my hands on the royal blue pencil dress I have on with silver heeled sandals. After waking up early and helping my parents in the bakery as usual, I got ready for work and now here I am.

Mr. Jay has already arrived and is busy making an important phone call in his office. He is usually the first to arrive to work and leaves for a few minutes before coming back again. Nobody knows what he usually leaves to go take care of everyday for the few minutes.

Sitting down, I go through the new iPad pro that I was given yesterday for work just as the desk phone rings and it's Mr. Jay calling.

"To my office, now." He says as soon as I pick up, his voice firm. The line goes off and I stare at the phone before putting it back.

I head to the office finding Mr. Jay sitting on his leather chair behind the desk, his arms on it and his face stern and serious, as always. "Good morning sir." I say to him before he can utter a word.

His face softens a little like he didn't expect me to greet him.

"Good morning." He answers straightening his navy blue blazer.

"I usually take my coffee at 8.15 am everyday." Mr. Jay checks the gold Patek Philippe watch he has around his wrist, his eyes and tone back to the serious ones. "It's 8.30 am now, where is it?"

I remain tongue tied having no idea what to say for myself. I should have made the coffee right after arriving at the office.

"Sir I'm sorry for the delay, let me go get the coffee." I excuse myself and hurry to the door. This is officially the first day I'm working with Mr. Jay and I'm already screwing things up.

"I like my coffee black with no sugar." Mr. Jay says behind me. I am aware of that, it's one of the things Mrs. Smith informed me about during my induction.

Once at the break room I spot the coffee maker. With the filtered water from the fridge and freshly ground coffee, I start brewing.

Freshly ground coffee beans make the best coffee, full of flavour.

After pouring the coffee in Mr. Jay's cup I carry it to his office, finding him with his phone in hand. I put the cup on the table just as he puts down the phone, picking the steaming cup of coffee and taking a sip.

How can he drink steaming hot coffee like this without burning off his tastebuds. I thought he would let it cool for a while.

"What's my schedule like today?" He asks taking another sip and not even reacting to it's bitterness.

"You made this?" Mr. Jay suddenly asks referring to the coffee. I tense up hoping he doesn't fire me because the coffee didn't come out as he wanted.

"Yes, I brewed it." I answer and he doesn't say anything afterwards, just drinks the coffee.

"You have a meeting at 10am in the board room with the board of directors. I've already sent to you the agenda of the meeting on your iPad." I say and he picks his iPad checking it. "You also have a 1pm lunch reservation at High Park hotel with a client."

He nods putting the iPad down and going back to drinking the coffee like he has never drunk or tasted one before.

The time comes and we leave the office going to the board room with the documents and ipad in hand, Mr. Jay next to me. The room is spacious with successful and influential men and women wearing neat suits and dresses, sitting around the enormous table. They all get up when Mr. Jay walks in, greeting him.

After sharing greetings they sit down, Mr. Jay asking me to introduce myself and I do so. He pulls out a chair for me next to him and I sit down.

The meeting starts, the agenda being discussed, from the new projects to the potential investors. I look around seeing how free every board member is. It's like they are a team of friends and not co workers as they discuss productively and meaningfully, giving it their all.

They are all given opportunities to contribute, speak their minds and be heard.

Mr. Jay's deep voice vibrates all through the room as he talks, being specific about the issues at hand. I look at his jaw, how it moves as he talks, how he smiles when satisfied with a point and how he laughs softly when a board member says something funny.

I zone out everyone except him.

Everybody outside of work know Mr. Jay Valentino as a strict boss who is always stern, serious about everything and always means business. Never even smiles but right now, I'm seeing a completely different side of him.

The meeting ends and we all leave the board room heading to the break room. After making sure that the board members are comfortable and have all the drinks and snacks they need, Mr. Jay leaves, not bothering to drink or eat anything.

I check my watch seeing it's 11.30 am, time for morning tea.

Pouring the hot black tea in a mug, I put a few biscuits in a small serving plate, carrying them to Mr. Jay's office. After this, I'm getting myself a snack too. I'm already hungry as hell.

Mr. Jay is now sitting on the grey couch in the corner of the office busy reading a newspaper. I set the tea and biscuits on the table and he looks at them. "I never take morning tea."

Silence follows as we look at each other and then at the tea and biscuits. What should I do with all these now, take them back?

"Oh well, more for me." I shrug picking a biscuit, taking a bite and drinking the tea.

Then i realize that i have just drunk my boss's tea infront of him. He keeps his eyes on me, totally surprised by what i have just done.

"I'm so sorry sir, please pardon my manners." I apologise instantly, wiping the crumbs off my lips with a napkin. Instead of getting upset like I thought he would, Mr. Jay laughs softly instead.

"What are you apologising for?" He asks still laughing. "I already told you that i never take morning tea. So feel free to eat all the biscuits and drink all the tea if you want."

I relax picking another biscuit and drinking the tea, I'm hungry after all.

"Sir, not to be intrusive but why don't you take morning tea?" I ask hoping he doesn't get mad because of the question. "You make sure all the employees and board of directors take morning tea but you don't take it yourself."

Mr. Jay glances up at me with his cloudy eyes, putting the newspaper aside. "I don't have time to waste drinking tea and eating snacks. I have business to attend to and people to manage and lead. I have to stay on top of my game."

Not wanting to ask too many questions, I pick the cup and plate, walking out to go back to my office. "There is something on your mind that you want to say but you are holding back." Mr. Jack says behind me. "Go on and say it. I'm all ears."

I turn around facing him, his face still stern. "I understand that you are a committed boss and so many people rely on your leadership and guidance. You also face pressure from the growing market and always want to get the job done. Even with all that, you should prioritise yourself and your health first."

Mr. Jay looks away from me to the newspaper, picking it again. "You are quite chatty."

"You have no idea." I whisper but it comes out loud enough for him to hear.

Not wanting to say anything crazy, i walk hurriedly out of his office going back to mine.