Chapter 14: Conclusions

Start from the beginning

The old wizard couldn't resist a small smirk as he gave the last answer Severus was expecting. "I was there when Amelia Bones taught him that curse, none of us envisaged it being used to such a gruesome and deadly effect as it was today."

Just entering the room was enough for Albus to detect the taint of the darkest of magical residue, studying the floor for a few minutes was all it took to confirm his worst fears. "Voldemort must be slipping to leave this evidence behind, or was in a great hurry to get out of here."

"He knew Black now controlled the wards, and arranged to meet Narcissa that evening to discuss the situation. It doesn't look as if there was much of a discussion."

"If I'm right, and I'm sure I am, Voldemort murdered Narcissa to power the darkest of rituals. I wonder what he did with the body?"

"With Nagini here, that wouldn't be a problem. That was supposed to be Diggory's fate in the graveyard, before Potter stole his body away…"

A female cough had both wizards turning, turning to find Amelia and Draco standing in the doorway. "I didn't know where this room was, Draco kindly agreed to show me…"

She never got to say any more as Draco confirmed he'd heard what had just been said, he exploded with righteous anger. "That sick bastard murdered my mother and then fed her to his snake - in our own home?"

"We don't know that for certain…" Severus was taken back at the ferocity of his godson's reply.

"You may not know for certain but you both think that's what happened. My father and mother are now dead because of him - yet you stand there and support the Dark Lord."

Knowing his answer would be crucial, Severus told his godson the truth. "Years ago, the Dark Lord threatened and then killed someone who was very important to me. I've worked against him ever since, doing my best to bring an end to the monster's life. You will now be spending the summer with me because, if that fact got out I would soon be dead too. I will need to teach you how to hide your thoughts - while also keeping you out of the Dark Lord's company."

"What about my aunt, won't she claim me?"

Knowing the information would be all over Britain very shortly, Amelia broke the news to the young wizard. "There was a Death Eater attack on Diagon Alley today, and Bellatrix Lestrange died in the attack." Seeing the expression of relief Draco wore at that news, Amelia decided he could stand some more.

"It was Harry Potter who took her down. She had tried to murder Miss Granger, instead killing Mr Lovegood. We also spoke to Lord Black regarding your situation, though at the time we had no knowledge your mother was missing as well. Your tuition to Hogwarts is paid and there will be an allowance for you too. He wants nothing to do with the Malfoy fortune - his only stipulation being that Voldemort doesn't get his hands on it. To that end, he's threatened to give every knut to charity if Voldemort was still alive when you reached your maturity. Given the current circumstances, I dare say some other agreement could be reached."

This was better news than Draco could have hoped for. "That bastard Voldemort won't get near the Malfoy gold, and that's one I owe Potter. I would have slept on the cobbles of Knockturn Alley before I would have stayed with that crazy bitch, I would have been safer in Knockturn too."

Albus was pleased that at least some good had come from this, as it would appear young Draco was no longer on the path to the dark side. Albus also needed to destroy the evidence Voldemort had left behind. "Amelia, it seems he's made another - using Draco's mother's murder to power the creation. I'm going to destroy all the evidence though, we daren't risk even part of the method needed to do this vile thing falling into anyone else's hands. I will make this a Ministerial Decree if you insist?"