Chapter 5: Lions and Toads and Basilisk-Oh My!

Start from the beginning

This had Hermione laughing. "Luna, I think you just broke Harry. He can face that monster in there with only a sword in his hand, the thought of the both of us in the shower has him totally helpless. Dobby, can you get us out of here?"

Seconds later, all three were in Myrtle's toilet. Both girls were down on their knees, hugging and kissing the elf on his now blushing cheeks. Dobby had made what could and should have been a disgusting, arduous and even dangerous task into a relatively simple one. As a delighted Dobby popped away to check on Winky, Hermione and Luna got ready to go and deal with a horcrux.

Knowing that having Harry with her would give Luna the best chance to deal with the horcrux, Hermione made the suggestion. "Luna, with your memories from Voldemort, you know more about this than me. I think you should take Harry and I'll watch your backs."

With Harry transferred to the blonde Ravenclaw, they made their way up to the seventh floor. The door that appeared in the wall this time was different from the one that led to the bedroom they now used.

Looking around the vast cavern, stuffed full of all kinds of magical bric-a-brac, Luna grabbed a gobsmacked Hermione by the arm. "We need to stay together, Hermione. Not counting the horcrux we're looking for, some of the stuff in here could also be very dangerous."

Using Voldemort's memories, Luna led them straight to Ravenclaw's diadem. When she stopped though, Hermione kept going. "Oh, that's beautiful..."

"Petrificus Totalus!" Luna caught Hermione before she could fall and leant her against a nearby cabinet.

"The diadem has a powerful compulsion charm placed on it, Hermione. It wants you to wear it, just like Ginny couldn't stop herself writing in his diary. Having Harry in my head is protecting me from it. I need to leave you in a body bind while I deal with this."

Luna put on her dragon hide gloves and then unwrapped one of the basilisk fangs, before lifting the diadem down and sitting it on the floor. Without any hesitation, she brought the fang down on the large jewel in the centre of the headpiece.

At first, Luna thought it hadn't worked, then the jewel cracked and green smoke began to leak from the fault in the gemstone. That the smoke began to form into a shape had Luna rushing to Hermione and ending her spell. They clung to each other, rooted to the spot, as that shape became recognisable as Voldemort. The gaseous version of the dark lord then emitted an unholy scream, setting both girls off screaming too.

Hermione was reminded of the Wizard of Oz as the wicked wizard 'melted'. The green gas appeared to collapse in on itself and sink to the ground, leaving an oily looking black gunk behind on the floor beside the diadem.

Now it was over, Hermione managed to pull herself together but Luna was in bits. Luna was clinging to Hermione while sobbing her heart out.

"It's okay, Luna, it's over..."

"No it's not, Hermione. There's one of those disgusting things in Harry's head, and we still don't know how to get it out. I don't care whether we destroy the rest of them or not, all I care about is getting the one out of Harry - and he better be alive at the end of it. The ministry flung Harry in Azkaban and Dumbledore tried to get into your mind - screw all of them. I just want Harry cured, then the three of us can get out the country and leave them all to their own mess."

"Luna, that doesn't sound like you?"

This calmed her sobs, and even produced a strained smile. "Harry just said the same. You two are so in tune that sometimes it's scary. Hermione, my life changed the night I met Harry, and through him you. I couldn't go back to the way I was before, not now I've seen what's possible when I've got friends. That would be cruelty beyond measure..."