Chapter 23: A Foolish Old Man

Start from the beginning

Though he knew nothing of Harry's warning to the Malfoys, Albus was well aware they blamed Lucius for the attack on the Grangers' home - and also slipping the diary horcrux to Hermione. Albus was delighted Lucius had just been arrested, and also confident Amelia could make it stick. Young Draco's life being put on the line to achieve this was not something he could however condone. Albus was placing an incredible amount of faith in this young couple and the very thought of them being involved in this fiasco worried him greatly. Since most of Hogwarts would rapidly reach the same conclusion, he decided to get the matter out in the open.

"Harry, do you have any idea why that bludger targeted Mister Malfoy?"

"No Sir. Like Mrs Malfoy, I would be prepared to give my oath on the matter - specifically that I wasn't involved in any way. It's not so long ago I was lying there injured, I would never be part of something causing that to a fellow player. Ollie had me concentrating on catching the snitch, knowing you or Professor Vector would stop the game if it looked like the Slytherin seeker was in real danger. We wanted to win, but I honestly don't think we needed a rogue bludger to achieve that result."

Albus had spent his entire life learning to read people, he was as sure as he could be that Harry was telling the truth here. The relief Harry's words brought to Draco's mother was also unmistakable, and gave the headmaster an idea.

"Ma'am, since my defence professor just performed a spell on a student he was neither qualified nor proficient in, I will be sacking Gilderoy Lockhart - when he recovers. I now find myself without a defence professor, and wondered if you might be interested in applying for the job? We can take the ease of your defeating the position's former holder as proof of your abilities in this subject. As a full time post though, I feel I must warn you that residing within Hogwarts is a requirement of the position."

Cissi's emotions had matched her son's manoeuvres on his broom as he'd tried to stay one step ahead of that bludger - they'd been up, down and all over the place. Hearing Potter say he didn't set that bludger on Draco lifted her spirits from the pit of despair they'd plummeted into. Like Dumbledore, she believed the boy.

Turning on Lucius was always going to see her expelled from the Malfoy family, thankfully Draco was spared that fate. She was going to have enough trouble trying to support herself without having to put her son through Hogwarts too. Now Dumbledore had just thrown her an unbelievable lifeline - paid work, free lodgings, and she would get to see Draco every day.

"Thank you, Headmaster. I won't play any games in this matter, we both know I now desperately need this job. Since I am no longer a Malfoy, nor a Black, I'll revert to my mother's maiden name. If you don't mind, I would like to be known as Professor Rosier?"

Since this appointment would be mutually beneficial on so many levels, Albus wasn't too bothered what his new defence professor called herself. Harry however had more to say on the quidditch situation.

"Sir, could you and the four heads of house review the quidditch rules? Leaving that job to the captains saw no changes being made. Without those rules preventing action, Madam Hooch would have instantly taken that rogue bludger out of the game. I think I can speak for all four teams in saying we trust her to be impartial, and also look out for our safety. There are all these rules from professional quidditch preventing her doing that very thing in a school game."

"You make some very good points, Mister Potter, points I can't find argument with. I will also include Madam Hooch in that meeting, with the results posted in time for the next match."