Chapter 16: A Black Day

Depuis le début

She heard the car in the driveway before the front door was unlocked.

"Now remember, Dudley, we had a salad... Pet, when did you get home? I thought I was coming to pick you up?"

"I was dropped off."

"How was your weekend with the freaks, mum?"

Visibly cringing at how her son phrased that question, Petunia began what she knew would be a hard sell.

"The Grangers are really lovely people - with an absolutely beautiful house. Five bedrooms and sitting in its own grounds, with a pool in the back garden…"

"Those poor people, having all that and they end up with a freak for a daughter. Then again, your parents were the same…"

"…and like my parents, they love their daughter too - even though she's a witch. They're very fond of Harry as well. They'll be spending most of the summer together."

"Do we still need to take him?"

"Vernon, that's simply non negotiable. Harry needs to stay here, or should I say we need him to stay here..."

This news didn't sit well with her son. "Why do we need the freak staying here? We're better off without him. No one around here even mentions he's gone..."

Taking a good look at the two men in her life, Petunia realised she needed to be brutal here. "The madman who murdered hundreds of people, including Harry's parents - my sister, isn't really dead. If him and his followers ever get together again, we Dursleys would be in deadly danger. These followers have already attacked the Grangers' home..."

"What? They would be looking for Potter. That seems like an even better reason not to have him back here."

The last thing Petunia needed was for Vernon to dig his heels in over this. "The Grangers' house was protected by magical shields, and suffered no damage whatsoever. They were whisked away to safety at the first hint of danger and the magical police were at their house within minutes too. Our house is already covered by shields that are actually stronger than those protecting the Grangers. For those shields to work however, Harry needs to live here for at least ten days a year - and think of this house as his home."

Opening her bag, she placed a copy of today's Daily Prophet on their table. Both Vernon and Dudley stared stupefiedly at a moving picture of Harry flying across the front page.

"This evil wizard was possessing one of the professors at their school. Somehow Harry discovered this and sent for their police. Before they could arrive however, Harry and Hermione were forced to act. They saved four other students and solved the problem before the police got there."

"If this wizard is so evil, how did the boy solve the problem?"

Deciding to be blunt, Petunia laid it out for Vernon. "Harry killed him."

That statement was met with total silence. Using that silence, Petunia explained her last remark. "The possessed professor was using his magic to attack Hermione. Harry managed to take the wizard's wand but he still tried to attack the girl. At that, Harry jumped on him and started punching the wizard in the face. For some reason, Harry's punches really hurt the wizard - eventually killing him. Harry and Hermione are to be awarded their top medals for bravery. I was there when their Prime Minister told them about these medals, and I'm invited back next weekend for the awards ceremony."