Chapter 1

Suzanne Bellerose gathered her things and kissed her mother goodbye. She was spending the weekend with her grandmother so that she could help her with errands and chores; her mother's idea, of course.

"Be careful!" she called behind her. "Hurry there, and don't stay out after dark!"

"You as well," Suzanne replied lovingly. "I'll be back in three days!"

And with that, she set out into the woods.

It was about three miles to her grandmother's house; nothing she couldn't handle. But given that she didn't want to have to take care of her grandmother, she decided to completely disregard her mother's instructions about staying out after dark. Suzanne wouldn't want her dear old grandma to worry, but she probably wasn't even awake at the moment. So Suzanne wandered around the woods, being sure not to stray too far from the path, and picked fresh fruit and flowers.

At sunset, Suzanne looked around and realized that she was probably about halfway there. She started to hear faint noises in the distance and the rustling of trees and froze, waiting for...anything. Anything that would give her a reason to run.

Then, she heard howling in the distance.

Wolves, she thought, starting to panic.

She started to run before the wolves got to her.

But, in the end, it wasn't her who was in danger.