Tempest leaped from the stall and bounced through a wooden door into the shop. I took that as a yes. Following him into the main room, the scent of earth and flowers permeated my nose. What sort of wares did Gianni sell? There were stands lined along the brick walls covered with strange items that I had never seen before, and barrels loaded with wooden swords and axes. It reminded me of an old country store; it smelled like one too.

I picked up a soft, fluffy staple fiber, admiring its rainbow-colored threads. Was it cotton? I had never seen anything like it before.

"Master Gianni," I shouted. "What is this?"

A door opened near me, and a familiar mage walked out into the room.

"You're earlier than I expected," the said man stated. "And to answer your question, that is Faerie Fluff."

What an unusual name.

"How did you get it?" I asked.

Gianni walked over and took the fiber from me, spinning the stem between his finger and thumb.

"I obtained it from a Gnawchid; a nature beast. This one material can be used to craft clothing and costs 250 gold, so be careful not to destroy it."

I shot him a glare. I'm more responsible than that. On another note, it was interesting to learn that monsters could be farmed for materials. Maybe I could even learn to craft items.

"So, you are a greedy merchant, and a mage," I stated.

Gianni grunted.

"I'm resourceful is all."

Tempest rammed into his side, urging a groan of discomfort from the mage.

"Knock that off," Gianni snapped.

Tempest recoiled and jumped into my arms. Poor darling. I nuzzled him.

"He likes you," Gianni mentioned with a grin. "Most slimes are afraid of humans, but some have been known to attack humans weaker than them."

"But I'm not a bad slime," Tempest stated with a slurp.

Did he just speak? My eyes grew wide in disbelief. I don't recall him talking in Alice's memories.

"Interesting," Gianni hummed. "Very well then, come along. We've wasted enough time."

He walked back through the door he came out of, leaving it open in his wake. Tempest leaped from my arms as I followed Gianni into another room as open as the last. This one was mostly empty except for some straw figures tied to pikes in the ground. What were they used for? Perhaps a training room.

"Do you know the fundamentals of mana control?" Gianni asked.

Hard no. I shook my head.

"I thought so," he confirmed with a sigh. "Every creature and human have mana. It is an intentional force used to cast spells."

OK.

"But there is a limit to how much mana a being can use," Gianni continued to explain. "For instance, you are new to magic, so your output is only at 2%. A common slime could beat you."

How reassuring. I understood though. No mana meant no magic. It was like a fantasy RPG.

"Is there a way for me to recharge it?" I asked.

"Only rest can replenish mana," Gianni answered.

Damn. That was a problem. In Erdrea, there were no potions to restore mana points; health points too I imagined. I'd be a sitting duck out there.