2

He was a murderer.

That's what everyone in the school thought of him. And that's what he thought of himself too. The difference was they thought whatever he did after that was just as reckless, he's someone who didn't feel remorseful at all. But no one knew how he still got flashbacks which sent chills across his whole body. They didn't know the fact that he flinched at anything triggering the memory. Or even worse, he got a panic attack he didn't know he had.

Until this morning.

As he passed through the school's gate, he saw Drew at the steps of the main building. He was staring out in the distance and out of curiosity Austin followed his gaze, only to see a girl appearing out of nowhere in front of his car. His breath fell short as everything from that night came flashing back before him in that fleeting moment. The trees, the empty road, wide eyes looking at him with pale face and how the car suddenly felt like it didn't belong to him. It didn't stop. Not quick enough. The sound of the screeching brake and the piercing scream deafened his ears.

Austin tightened his grips on the steering wheel. No. No way. He wouldn't let it happen again. He turned the wheel swiftly to his left, only noticing the students standing at the side of the road in his afterthought. They scattered away in panic while they pushed one another to make it to a safe distance from the car. From confusion, their expressions changed to terror as the car inched closer to them. Although their screams were probably louder all he could hear was the desperation from that night. Austin stepped hard on the brake, causing his upper body to crash back to the seat due to the impact. Despite the chaos around him, his eyes were unfocused on the row of trees right in front of him.

He blinked his eyes anxiously and rapidly, too scared that the day would turn dark and the road being empty again. But he could still see the trees and the school's field behind it. He exhaled heavily, releasing the anxiety he felt seconds ago. Before he could fully calm down himself, someone knocked on the window at his side. He looked up and couldn't help but thinking that he was his savior. Drew stood there looking at him with a concerned look on his face. Austin opened the door and stood in front of him, feeling glad in the presence of his friend.

"Hey, you alright?"

He opened his fist, showing the car keys to Drew with trembling hand. Drew immediately covered it with his hand, surprised to see the state Austin was at the moment. "Whoa, what's wrong?" He asked in a controlled tone, trying not to get his voice louder while everyone were looking at them.

Austin shook his head as he looked at Drew right in the eyes. "I shouldn't—" His voice lost in the overwhelming anxiety he was feeling. With his hand still trembling, he passed the keys to Drew.

"What you're all doing? She's injured! Give way, so I can bring her to the infirmary now."

Both of them turned their heads to the source of the voice and saw the familiar faces just a few feet away. It was Cassidy and Emma who were in the same year with them. Drew bit his lips and shot a quick glance, looking as obvious as the day of how much he hated just the sight of them. Not just because they both had been titled as the model students for three years in a row, but also because of how they always managed to have different priorities to him no matter what the situation was.

Austin however had his heart raced once again when he heard that someone was injured. Drew stopped him before he could make a move towards the girl who was standing beside Cassidy. She had one of her hand on her legs to support her standing as her body bent down a little. Austin frowned, demanding an explanation from Drew for blocking his way.