The Junior Goodwill Games - 1

"I just can't believe this, Jules. Hours ago, we were sitting in our home in Maine, and now we are being invited to join team USA at the Junior Goodwill games? Pinch me," Indiana dramatized, waiting at the baggage claim area for their equipment and luggage. Indiana was clearly ecstatic. Being from Maine, the two girls had never even thought about traveling away from New England. Due to their busy hockey schedules, both girls rarely had time to even envision the idea of traveling unless it was for a tournament, which were mainly based in their region.

Julie scanned the bags, "For real, Indie. It sucks we had to leave our team but I'm sure they will be just fine." It was no secret that the Gaffney sisters were the backbone of Bangor, Maine's championship women's team. Julie, with one of the fastest gloves in the country, and Indiana being one of the best precision shooters in the women's game. The two girls had been put on skates when they were four years old and have fallen in love with the game ever since.

Indiana scoffed, "What, without their champion goaltender and winger? I don't think they stand a chance." Julie shook her head, a smile playing on her lips. Indiana mostly spoke sarcastically, never able to keep any conversation too serious for too long. Seriousness in itself made Indiana severely uncomfortable.

"With the impact of your big ego, it will be like you never left," Joked Julie, causing Indiana to hit her arm playfully. Indiana gasped before grabbing her hockey bag off of the conveyor belt, noting that the two siblings shouldn't have to wait too long for Julies. The conveyor belt stopped for a moment, causing Indiana to groan internally. Moments later it began to move again, allowing for Julie to see and snatch her bag containing all of her goaltending equipment along with her sticks. The two girls headed to the exit, not expecting the cool breeze that hit their faces as soon as they exited the baggage claim area. Their parents, despite being unable to make the trip with them, had organized a driver to pick them up and bring them to the hotel where the rest of the team would be staying for one night until they all went together to Los Angeles. However, the twins' flight from Maine had been delayed, and they were currently an hour away from the hotel, with a practice scheduled in two hours.

"Where is this guy?" Julie muttered, scanning the room for a driver. Indiana widened her eyes, glancing around the busy airport exit in an attempt to find the man who was supposed to take them to their hotel. Julie and Indiana ran to a man holding a handwritten sign 'Gaffney.'

"Julie and Indiana Gaffney," Julie introduced the two. The man simply nodded before grabbing one of the girl's luggage and walking through the exit doors and to a small gray car. He packaged the two girls' gear in the backseat while they held onto their carry-ons. The man was very quiet, not speaking to the two as he had already been given strict directions of where to take the girls by the parents.

About halfway through the drive, Indiana noticed an updated copy of the local newspaper in the back of the passenger seat. Indiana grabbed it, opening up the pages to see her and her sister's faces next to a group of other hockey players-- the ducks. "Championship Ducks to make core of team USA," the headline read. Underneath the pictures of the current ducks were the "New Ducks to Join Flock," where Julie and Indiana's headshots were posted, along with four other newcomers.

"Jules, look at this" Indiana tapped her sister who had been staring out the window. Julie glanced over at the paper, her eyes widening.

"Hey, that's us!" she pointed out.

"Look at these pictures," Indiana laughed, pointing at one of the boys with longer, curly hair and glasses.

"Ours don't look half bad," Julie smiled, turning her attention away from her picture, before looking back again self-consciously. "I think?"