29: Spilled Secrets

Start from the beginning

"I thought so." Sugar circled him as her fingers tore a ribbon off from the fabric of her shirt. She looped it through her golden hair, creating a high messy bun atop her head.

Peter surveyed her actions with a keen interest as he turned away, heaving a deep sigh.

"I'll cut off the deal," she offered, "you won't have to send Amber home."

Peter's eyes lit up for a millisecond before returning to its dark green tint. Suspicion spread across his striking features before his fist went up to clamp around her fair neck.

"I'm not used to getting off easy." He growled through gritted teeth. "And I don't expect it from you. Anyone but you..."

Her posture wriggled underneath his firm grasp like an eel out of water. I was just about to yell out and stop him before he hurt her any further when suddenly, I felt a hand smother my incoming scream.

I was yanked away from the ledge forcefully as my heels were digging themselves into the ground. Try as I might, my actions were no such effective.

A gag was shoved down my throat to prevent me from making any noise as a tall figure, dark and ruggedly groomed, stepped forward in my place.

"Enjoying the view, sweetheart?"

I frowned when I saw his face. His shockingly blue eyes held me captive as my gaze traced down to his well defined jawline. A rough stubble made its way from his chin to underneath his cheekbones, giving him an unpolished look.

Yet somehow, it wasn't his face that was the most distracting feature of all.

It was his left hand. Well- not really a hand, but a shiny lustrous silver hook.

I've heard stories, legends and folklore about a hooked pirate. Towering and dangerous, swift and clever. He played laborious games and mind-joggling tricks with his nemesis, Peter Pan.

That was when I realized, the whole setup by the Mermaid Lagoon was a trap.

Peter was in trouble.

"Piecing it together now, are we?" He grinned, seeing my widened eyes. With a swig of the rum and a stagger, he made his way to face me.

His strong hands grabbed me by the shoulder blade and jerked me by his side. It was enough so I could see Peter and Sugar down below.

By this time, Peter had already released her neck. I don't know what made him stop. Maybe it was her persuasion.

But yet, he was still fuming with anger.

"It's my turn," he spat out.

I choked on my gag as I watched him circle Sugar. He looked like a massive shark, being delusive around its prey. Compared to Peter, Sugar looked like nothing more than a bleeding out fish who's on the verge of death.

"Why did you come to Neverland?" He asked, glaring. His forest green eyes now appeared a darker shade, similar to the scales of a crocodile. "I never saw you in my dreams, so why did you come?"

Sugar hesitated briefly.

"I've been living on this island for a long time, Peter. You just never realized it. I am more powerful than you would think-"

"-Was." Peter interrupted irresponsibly. "The correct way to say your sentence was, 'I was more powerful than you would think.' But... that power has rubbed off now, hasn't it? That's why you came out of hiding."

Sugar's face flickered up in guilt, but she quickly recovered it with a smirk. "Yes, okay, yes you got me. I was banished, okay? But that's not the only reason I showed up."

Peter waited for her to extend her answer, but that was all he got out of the blonde. Now, it was her turn. All he could do now, was reply, and wait.

Hook made it mandatory for me to watch with a significance or fake interest. Sure, the moment was aggravating for me and enjoyable for him, but the only soul purpose I have now, is to slip out of his tight rope knot and escape.

And fortunately, it wasn't difficult.

The only complication I had, was that I just needed for him to be... distracted. Like, if I could summon Cthulhu out of the ocean right now, that'd be great.

I was dragged out of thoughts by the sound of Sugar clearing her throat.

"I am still intrigued as to why you like Amber so much." There was a trace of jealousy in her voice, but it was masked expertly with a poker face.

When Peter didn't answer immediately, she raised an eyebrow. "A secret for a secret. You are breaking the rules."

He exhaled deeply and ran his fingers through his auburn hair. "She is... different, and when I say 'different', that's a complete understatement. She's a fallen angel from heaven."

"Does that make you an escaped devil from hell?"

"I suppose, but in my book, that's a compliment."

I watched as the two conversed, and that was when I realized: the universe is rarely so lazy.

Was it a coincidence that we met? Two diverse people from different sides of the spectrum looking in. Not only did I meet my complete opposite, I fell for him as well.

And what Sugar said next made me realize that in doing so, I changed him as well.

She clicked her tongue languidly, taking her sweet time. "Oh but Peter, you're not a devil anymore. Look at you, look around you.

"I would have been dead already if you haven't have met that girl. You would have snapped my neck and drained my blood the moment I disobeyed you... but you didn't. That girl changed your heart. You're weak now."

The look on Peter's face was indescribable. A fire was ignited.

And there was no way to quench it.

"I may be on the side of the angels," he said, advancing upon her, "but don't for one second think that I am one of them."

His hand shot up in the air, making an invisible force shove and restrain her against a tall rocky boulder. Her cry of pain echoed through the Mermaid Lagoon like the sound of glass splitting through skin.

"I'll release you when you answer this one question, just this one question." Peter growled under his might, making the pressure worsen. "What are you. Not who, but what?"

"I-I don't remember," she strained out. "I was banished years ago."

The answer was not satisfactory enough for Peter. He made the pain increase to the point of nearing death when she pleaded for her life. Even if it meant the cost of an unwieldy secret.

"Wait! B-but I do remember my name!"

Peter paused for a moment, allowing her to catch her breath. Her muscles constricted against the pressure of his magic, but somehow, her mouth opened to speak.

"I was lying when the Lost Boys first found me. I knew my name all along, but it was too risky to say let anyone know it in fear that they'd recognize me."

She took a massive deep breath before uttering just a few more words.

"My name is Tinkerbell."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry for the confusion on the update! I tried saving the draft but my mouse misclicked and it ended up on the "Publish" button.

My apologies if you read the drafted version before this real actual version. Honest mistake!

The shoutout goes to @PENGUIN_POTTER for their comment:
"My money is on Sugar being a unicorn."

All the Sherlock references is to my dear friend who said hello to Peter Pan at Disney for me. (One of the highlights of my Spring Break!)

Thank you for reading! You guys are truly amazing. Thx for 27k!!!

~Katie P.N.