Chapter 47: Nervous Raghav

Start from the beginning

"Raghav, I don't need a wheelchair, I can walk—" Pallavi started.

"Chop chaap isme beto, no arguing." Raghav interrupted.

Embarrassed, Pallavi sat in it, and Raghav wheeled her out into the hallway.

"Pallavi, are you still hurt? Why are you in a wheelchair?" Amma asked, walking up to them with Keerthi.

"Ask your silly son, he's the one who brought this, I told him I was fine—" Pallavi started to complain.

"Amma, your daughter in law just fainted, and then we find out she's pregnant, and you want her to walk?!" Raghav asked, a little frustrated.

Amma and Keerthi laughed, as Pallavi crossed her arms and pouted, "Looks like bhai isn't going to let you even lift a finger for the next few months, Pallavi Di" Keerthi added.

Raghav ignored Keerthi's joke and wheeled Pallavi outside to the car.

"Here let me help you—" Raghav took Pallavi's arm.

"Raghav! You need to relax." Pallavi laughed and got into the car herself, and then Amma and Keerthi got in. A nurse who had followed them outside took the wheelchair back into the hospital.

"Raghav" Amma said teasingly as he started the car, "How come you didn't help your Amma into the car?"

Raghav grimaced as the three women burst into laughter, and started the car to drive them all home.

In the driveway of the house, Raghav quickly opened Pallavi's door and immediately tried to carry her inside.

"Raghav, what the hell are you doing? You do not have to carry me in the house." Pallavi snapped, a little embarrassed now at how protective Raghav was being.

Amma and Keerthi laughed harder. "Bhai, Pallavi Di can walk, you know that right. She's just pregnant, she's not actually ill."

"Pallavi, sometimes you say I'm not sensitive enough, and now I'm being too nice? No arguing." Raghav swiftly took her in his arms. Pallavi rolled her eyes at Amma and Keerthi, but then smiled as Raghav walked to the front door.

"Now, how will you unlock the door?" Pallavi asked, amused.

Raghav glared at her, "Tum na, mera bahut mazaak udathe ho. Chup. Amma, please open the door."

Amma, still giggling, opened the door, and Raghav walked, without another word, even though Pallavi started to tell Amma she wanted to help with dinner, up the stairs and laid Pallavi on the bed.

"Saree ka Dukaan, stop with this middle class attitude, now. You've married The Raghav Rao. No more cooking, no cleaning, no doing laundry or whatever other nonsense you do."

Pallavi sat up to protest, but Raghav held up his hand to stop her.

"Kabhi kabhi tumhara pati ka baath maan lehni chahihye. Okay?" Raghav laid her back down, "Now, sirf araam karo. I'll handle dinner. Naidu!" Raghav yelled out Naidu's name and he came running in the room.

"Naidu, ask Amma what needs to be made for dinner, and then make that. Also tell the rest of the staff, if any of you let Pallavi madam lift even a plate, I'll have your jobs. Ardhamaindha?" Raghav sir's voice was firm and Naidu could tell (even if Pallavi madam was rolling her eyes and giggling silently), this was no laughing matter.

Naidu risked a question, "But sir, if madam wants to cook, how can we stop—" he then cowered back as Ragahv's eyes flashed.

"Raghav, stop terrorizing everyone, main teek hun." Pallavi said.

Raghav ignored Pallavi, "Naidu, if my wife makes the silly mistake of trying to do work, you call me immediately, and I'll stop her. Sound good. Now go, get started on dinner."

Naidu left, counting his blessings that Raghav sir hadn't yelled any worse.

"Raghav," Pallavi tried again, "you're stressing out too much."

"Aur kya karun? Should I dance? Should I be singing?" Raghav burst out.

Pallavi suddenly was shocked, "What do you mean? Are you saying you're not happy that we're having a baby?" She could feel her mood changing almost immediately, her amusement changing to sadness.

Raghav noticed her change in voice and then took her hand and sat next to her, "No no, I am happy. But tum na, bahut kaam karthi ho, and this is not done. Women when they're pregnant need to rest, they need to relax, not worry about work. Oh no, why are you crying? I didn't mean it—"

Pallavi wiped her tears and sat up and hugged Raghav, "What did I do to deserve such a caring husband?"

Ragahv smiled, hugging her back, "You're not bad yourself."

Pallavi laughed, "But you are an idiot."

Raghav broke away from the hug, "Kya?"

"Aur nahin toh kya! You want me to sit still in this bed for the next seven months? Tum pure pagal ho." Pallavi stood up and went to the closet, "I'm taking a shower and getting out of this saree, and then if I want to I will help Amma with dinner. And that's final."

Raghav protested, "But, what if you fall in the shower, I don't think—"

Pallavi laughed, "So what? I can't shower now?"

Raghav walked to her and took her hand, "Okay fine, go shower, but don't keep making fun of my stress, you scared me today."

Pallavi smiled and tugged on her ears, "Sorry."

Raghav kissed her cheek again, "I'm sorry too, I'll be a little less crazy...well I'll try," he moved his hand to Pallavi's stomach, "for both of you."

Pallavi smiled, "You know...you are right that the shower could be slippery. I might need help..."

"Right? Let me call Amma and she can help you—"

Pallavi put her head in her hands, "Arre dekh yeh akalmand ko."

Raghav stopped, "What?"

Pallavi took his hand and started dragging him to the washroom, "I didn't mean you had to call anyone else, duffer."

Raghav smiled, "Oh, is that right?" He moved his hands around her waist, and kissed her neck, "Tum toh bahut wild niklee."

Pallavi laughed, "You haven't seen anything yet, Mr. Raghav Rao."