Old Madam Cheng squinted her eyes slightly: "It is you who are sensible. Eldest and second daughter-in-law have lived in this manor for almost twenty years. I've seen them grow up to this age, and in my eyes, they are no different from my daughter. It is inevitable for family members to quarrel, and there are times when the left foot will stumble with the right foot. But in the end, a good talk will end any quarrel. I am their mother. How can I put this small matter into my heart? Since they hold no grudges to each other, then it's okay."

Finished speaking, Old Madam Cheng sighed: "Harmony is the only way for the family to flourish. A family must be peaceful and harmonious."

"Grandmother is right." Cheng Yujin responded. Then, as if unintentional, she said casually: "In the end, this matter is still caused by this granddaughter's incompetence. After mother calmed down and talked heart-to-heart with me, I understand that mother is anxious after seeing first younger brother got the recommendation to enter the Imperial Academy. Second younger brother has also been transferred to a better private school. In her anxiety, mother rushed to speak. Mother didn't intend to offend anyone. She was just anxious about third younger brother's future."

Old Madam Cheng understood. So this was the crux of today's matter. She had always known that the first and second branch didn't get along with each other. The conflict that happened today was not only stemmed from the accumulation of past grudges, but also the problem of the two branches competing for resources.

The eldest son had a nobility title, and his wife Qingfu was also a titled imperial Junzhu. As soon as she entered the manor, Qingfu became the eldest madam. Over the years, her life went smoothly. Her temper was naturally proud, and she couldn't stand being suppressed by others.

Ruan-shi was indeed a bit high-profile recently. However, their second branch had produced a daughter that married well. It was a matter of course for the second branch to rise with the tide. It wouldn't be good if the first branch's couple kept refusing to acknowledge this reality.

Seeing Old Madam Cheng's contemplative expression, Cheng Yujin continued to speak slowly: "It is tough to be parents. Parents want to give their children the best, and this is natural. Unfortunately, I am not as capable as second sister and unable to recommend my younger brother to the Imperial Academy."

Old Madam Cheng was startled at first, but she soon smiled: "Eldest girl, I know you always have a strong sense of responsibility since you were a child, but you don't have to take this matter on yourself. A man's future has to be earned by himself. A girl like you should be pampered and enjoy the blessing inside the house."

"How can this be? Grandmother, father, and mother love me so much. I have seen it over the years. How can I just stay relaxed and do not contribute anything to the family?" Cheng Yujin bit her lips, seemingly reluctant to speak but had no choice except for burning the bridge: "Grandmother, you elders shelter me from wind and rain, and I shouldn't bother you with my problems anymore. However, I am older than second sister. Second sister has been married, and after a year, maybe I can hug a little nephew, but I am still staying at home. I always blame myself for this. Grandmother, you don't have to consider my feeling. Please answer honestly, am I causing trouble to the family?"

Old Madam Cheng sighed. She stretched out her hand, wanting to sit up. Cheng Yujin put down the massage hammer and helped the Old Madam up. Old Madam Cheng switched position from reclining to sitting, and said solemnly: "Eldest girl, you shouldn't burden yourself. The broken engagement is not your fault. You don't need to worry about your marriage. If worst coming to the worst, our family is still capable of taking care of you for a lifetime."

Ch 74 Part 2 – Selfishness (II)

Old Madam Cheng carefully looked at Cheng Yujin's face. The girl who had always been so perfect and smart now was showing a dejected expression. Old Madam Cheng couldn't bear seeing it and finally revealed her trump card: "Besides, this is just the worst 'if' plan. You may not really fall like this. Do you remember Zhai family's little shizi who came to our house on the day of your grandfather's forty-ninth day ceremony?"