As Eugene intended to take her time in removing Jin’s mask before her old acquaintances, she decided to react in the way Jin would have normally done so in such a situation. So first of all, she put her teacup down on the table with a resounding clang. And when it had successfully made Gemma flinch with surprise, she retorted curtly as she rose to her feet, “I believe I did my best to treat you with all my courtesy. But I cannot tolerate such insults any longer. Is this how you treat a guest in the Slan Kingdom?”

“Anika Jin!”

Eugene, who just had coldly wheeled around, turned to Gemma again upon hearing her desperate call out. Gemma was on the verge of crying, with her face turned deadly white with fright.

Eugene clucked her tongue inwardly. It was clear that Gemma was no match for Jin as she seemed outright timid with a reserved disposition. If Jin was here for real, it wouldn’t be surprising for her to make further fuss like slapping Gemma right in her face. Jin was capable of doing something even more than that.

“Please, I beg your forgiveness. I have been experiencing drastic mood swings these days. I truly committed a discourtesy.”, said Gemma as she wrapped her lower belly with both her hands. Eugene, who was staring with no definite idea, had let out a groan when it finally dawned upon her. That clearly explained why the prince and the princess had turned down Kasser’s invitation.

“…Are you pregnant?”

“Yes…”

Gemma’s belly was yet to protrude to a noticeable degree. However, it felt strange to think that a prince of the Slan Kingdom, who’s destined to be a king in the future was growing inside that belly of hers.

Eugene took her seat again. Although she was a little vexed by Gemma’s impertinent provocation, she wasn’t actually mad.

Gemma’s first impression was gloomy on the whole. Eugene had thought to herself that it was either because she was not welcomed here or that it was just Gemma’s usual expression. But now, she realized that Gemma must’ve been suffering from a mild depression due to her pregnancy. Eugene felt like she could somehow understand the unstable mind of an expectant mother to some degree.

‘I can’t blame her for that. She’s only twenty-one, yet she’s pregnant in a foreign land away from her family. She must have a lot on her mind.’

Unwittingly, she stared into Gemma’s belly for a while before she promptly averted her eyes upon realization of her mistake.

“Congratulations.”

“Ah. Thank you.” answered Gemma with a baffled look as she was dubious of Eugene’s sudden change in attitude at the news of her pregnancy. Gemma carefully studied the look on Eugene’s face while Eugene lifted the teacup from the table.

“You must have turned down the invitation because you’re in your early stage of pregnancy.”

“Yes, you’re right.”

“I should’ve known better. I thought you turned it down because you found me uncomfortable.”

“What? No, not at all.”

“Please come visit next time. You are always welcome.” said Eugene with a smile.

Gemma, who was terribly quailed before, seemed to have brightened up a little by that. She was relieved as Eugene didn’t seem to be holding grudges against her. The reason she lost her temper earlier was because Eugene was looking very much at ease compared to herself. She got more upset when it seemed like she was the only one who’s having a hard time adjusting a life in foreign kingdom when she’d expected Eugene to feel the same.