She could hear her barking orders to someone and saw the window in question open. She touched down and went over to see how she could help. "Anything I can do?"

"I have almost got it, it just needs to finish processing."

Dani considered it for a moment and nodded. "Alright. Are you gonna be okay?"

"I will be fine, dumbass. Here."

Dani caught the offered object, it looked like just a black stick but she knew that with Shuri there was always something more. "What is it?"

The Princess regarded her with what could be classed as a worried look. "Press the button and that will turn into a mighty weapon."

Dani smiled at her friend. "Thanks Shuri." As she was about to head out, she was called for again.

"Wait!"

She turned with a raised eyebrow.

Shuri gestured to her. "That new suit you're wearing… I put in some special touches of my own design. There's some… interesting features you might want to explore."

Dani quickly embraced her friend in a hug. "Thank you."

The Princess nodded. "Now go, shoo, I have things to do."

Dani smirked and dipped into a low bow, "Thanks for your co-operation, your Highness."

As she swung she holstered the mysterious weapon and got right into the middle of the action.

"MIA, show me the footage Droney's getting."

She could see Thor fighting Thanos and trying to hold him back, but unfortunately failing.

"Dani, would you now like me to go through the new features of your suit?"

She sighed as she kicked some aliens out of her face. "Yeah, sure MIA."

Her AI went through the features and one of the unfamiliar ones caught her attention. "Hang on, MIA, did you just say-"

"Would you like to try out any of your new features?"

Dani smiled with newfound hope and addressed the Avengers through her comms. "Guys, I think I have a plan."

"Great," she could hear Steve huff as he fought, "What is it?"

"Can you guys distract Thanos for like a minute or two?"

Strange, who was busy sending the aliens through portals back to alien land in droves and quickly emptying the field, "Yeah sure kid."

He flew over to where Thanos was and helped Thor and the newly out Wanda to try and restrain him.

She heard Tony's worried voice in her ear. "Dani, what's your plan here?"

She braced herself and pushed the button on the stick Shuri had given her. "Just trust me, Stark."

She got in to fighting position around the edge of where Thor, Wanda and Dr Strange were almost succeeding in overpowering Thanos.

Shooting a web and preparing to swing on it, she called out, "MIA, activate Protocol 22."

"Activating Princess Protection Program."

As Dani's weapon came into being, she swung on her web toward Thanos. He was preoccupied fighting the most powerful Avengers and Dani in her newly invisible suit was easily able to sneak past him. Luckily he was being contained and held in place by Wanda.

When she got scarily close, she swung another web to put her directly in his path, and heaved the Vibranium axe Shuri had given her up to right where Thanos' neck was. The clean cut Vibranium sliced smoothly through his neck and his head came off his shoulders.

Thor looked around in confusion as the creature he was fighting appeared to have been beheaded by an invisible assailant.

Dani stood there in disbelief at what she'd just done. "MIA, deactivate."

Her body became visible again and Wanda walked up to where she was standing. "You- you killed him."

The teen swallowed. "I think so."

Thor walked over and pulled the gauntlet off of Thanos' arm.

"Guys, what's happening?"

Dani heard Steve's voice in her ear and exhaled. "He's dead."

Strange used his magic to take the time stone back and then flew off to portal away the remaining aliens.

Once the aliens were taken care of, all of the Avengers gathered by Thanos' dead body in silence. Thor was the one who broke it, when he turned to Dani. "Who are you, child?"

She gulped. "Uh- um- my name's Dani. I'm kinda of an Avenger now, I guess. Got recruited while you were in space so. Nice to meet you." She held her hand out for Thor to shake and he slowly shook his head.

"You are a child."

"I mean by law, yeah-"

"Thanos has been the biggest universal threat for years. He killed my brother and murdered thousands. And you- you were able to stop him."

Dani awkwardly lowered her hand. "Yeah well, it was a group effort really. I mean the invisible suit really helped, and the axe Shuri made that was a pretty big part of it. And you guys distracted him which was very helpful. I mean without Wanda holding him in place I wouldn't have a had a chance." She reached up to scratch the back of her neck.

Thor still looked at her in solemn disbelief. He nodded. "The universe owes you a great debt, child."

Sam started laughing, "Damn Webs," and Dani remembered the hundreds of fighters standing behind them. She turned around and faced them all with a sheepish look. "So uh, what do we do now?"

*insert cut to catchy song and like fun doodles of dani being all badass and the other avengers vibing around - i think the song would be endgame by taylor swift for obvious reasons and also because it's taylor fucking swift*

A/N: Roll the goddamn fucking credits y'all.

oh? what is this? and such a bold departure from the original source material! (if you got that reference you are superior)

y'all know i suck at writing sad shit i could NEVER do anything to hurt people
honestly this was my idea since the very beginning of the book im ngl at first i thought i couldn't do it the way i wanted but i gave it a go and well here we are!
i always knew there was no way in hell i was gonna kill ANYBODY off like cmon
after two and a half long years of this story, i hope y'all enjoyed the ending and were satisfied with how i did it

thank you so much to everybody who's stuck around, whether you've just found this fic and binged it all (which i applaud you for bc the beginning is HORRIFIC) or if you've been with me and dani since the beginning - thank you for coming on this journey with me and for all your votes and comments and putting up with my painful updating schedule, you're all amazing and i love you and i thank you for eternity <3

it's almost 3am now as i write this (jan 5th 22) and i gotta get covid tested and wake up in like 5 and a half hours oops im gonna hate myself when i wake up sorry future me

love you darlings,
niamh