15. "I will surrender"

Start from the beginning

And then the last one, "If you do meet Captain Lan, please tell him Xie xie and Dui bu qi for me."

I wait till I see that my messages are read and then delete all of them from my phone. I also delete all of my personal conversations with Lan Zhan from my phone. My soul will not rest in peace if he is subjected to scorn because of me in any way. I never wanted to involve my Lan Zhan in all this narcotics mess either. But if Wen Ning is not released I cannot think of a better person to help Wen Qing and Jiang Cheng. I am sincerely hoping that when my friends approach him concerning the life of a person, he will be able to get the backing of his team and his seniors. At this point, I don't think I have any other option.

I go back to my desk, leave my bag there and head out. Quite possibly, never to come back.

I walk to the alley the voice had mentioned last night. I see a couple of men with masks and caps. They signal me to walk towards a van. They take my phone and throw it in a puddle on the side of the road. One of them ties a blindfold around my eyes and ties my hands behind my back. Then I am pushed onto the back seat. I remind myself of my main mission - to save Wen Ning. I try to turn towards the window so that the camera on my shirt can show the way to where they are taking me. I am assuming Wen Ning would also be kept in the same location.

After about 15-20 mins the van stops. Someone orders me to get down and they push me to some place. After a short walk, someone grabs my hands roughly and moves them to tie above my head. I can hear footsteps. People wearing boots walking on the concrete floor.

Someone walks close to me and hits me hard. I can feel something scratch my face. Then they remove the blindfold. After my eyes adjust to the dim light in the room, I see them. I am stunned, "Wen Chao, Wen Zhu Li, and Officer Su She? What are you guys doing here?" I ask. I had known Wen Zhu Li and Wen Chao as bullies all my life. Arrogant, easily angered, impolite and violent. But never thought they would be evil to this extent.

Wen Chao smiles an evil smile, "We are here to make sure that you don't get out of this place alive. That's all."

I am not surprised about what he said. "I see. I don't care what you do to me. But now that I am here, release Wen Ning. My death for his life. That was the deal. Now honor your own words.", I am surprised that all I am feeling is calm. I am not afraid. My heart has not wavered from my mission of saving Wen Ning. It must be that my heart has accepted the finality of this situation.

"What's the rush, Dr. Wei Wu Xian? Dr. Wen is resting comfortably. Once you give us what we want, we will let him go. He is useless to us now anyway.", Su She replies as he pulls something like a curtain. On the other side behind the glass door, Wen Ning lying on a bench. He seems to be asleep.

"What did you do to him? Did you hurt him?", I really want to know.

"Relax, doctor. We just gave him a general anesthetic. He will be asleep for a few hours.". It's Su She again who responds.

"Let me check him. Let me make sure he is alright." I plead.

That earns me a hard slap in response from Wen Chao. Something on his hand slashes across my cheek and I feel the blood start to trickle. "Stop being a doctor here. Here you are nothing more than a stray dog. Behave and you might get to live a few hours more." barks Wen Chao.

"Why do you want to kill me?", Jiang Cheng had said the video can record for up to 24 hours. Now that I know I can't do much for Wen Ning, I try to focus on gathering evidence against these guys. I decide to make them talk.

"I want to finish what my father started 28 years ago." Wen Chao replies with malice dripping from his face. "What does that mean?", I am confused.

"It was my father that tampered with the car so it could kill your parents. His plan was to kill you too. But somehow you survived. Later on, we learned that your cunning father had made a provision in his will. If anything were to happen to you before you turned 25, the hospital would be given to the government. It was in our favor after all, that you survived. Your hospital was the only reason he adopted you.", Wen Chao smirks.