IV. The First Task and In Memorium

Start from the beginning

[./.]

Fleur rushes to the Hospital Wing, Gabrielle in tow. She saw you tumble to the ground, only being slowed down by a nonverbal charm from Professor Dumbledore. Perhaps she lost her mate before they really got a chance to be together, her thoughts said, etching themselves on her cheeks as tears. Fleur knocks on the door, and is met by Madame Pomfrey standing attentively on the otherside.

"Ms Delacour, I presume?" Fleur quickly nods. "You've gotten lucky. Rhaegal only has a few fractured ribs and a broken hand, but from a fall from that height, I'm not sure how he managed to survive that. He's been asking about you since he woke up ten minutes ago."

Fleur and Gabrielle walk in, and find Rhaegal at the very end of the Hospital Wing, accompanyed by Professor Dumbledore. 

"Ms Delacour, a word, if I may." The elderly professor takes Fleur aside. "Rhaegal has told me that you believe that he is your mate."

"Zat is correct, Professor."

"I have found a room that is unused that you and Rhaegal can use for the rest of the year, because of your kind's tendency to... you get the idea." Fleur's cheeks bathe in a light pink, her mother often told her that when a Veela finds their mate, they usually 'commit the deed' within 10 weeks of telling the mate that they love them. "Now, I think Rhaegal wants to talk with you."

Fleur turns around, and sees Rhaegal talking with Gabrielle. She walks over to Rhaegal, and holds onto his hand.

"Fleur, that's the broken one." She reliquishes her grip on his hand, and her smile drops.

"Mon dieu, Rhaegal, tu es si stupide. Saviez-vous que je pensais que vous étiez mort? Que j'aurais pu perdre mon compagnon avant qu'on ait vraiment eu la chance d'être ensemble? Je t'aime tellement pour ton altruisme, mais tu me frustres tellement, mon amour." She says, her smile growing back onto her face.

"Alright, I didn't understand a word of what you just said, but I'm going to assume that you're not happy with me."

"I'm just grateful zat you're alive, Rhae, despite your incredble stupidity." The pair hear giggling behind them, and see Dumbledore watching helplessly as Gabrielle tries to get the sour taste of a sherbet lemon out of her mouth. The two lovers break into laughter, before their eyes meet.

"So, Fleur, what would you say to going to the Yule Ball as a couple?

[...]
[./.]

The Daily Prophet

A terrorist attack on the French Ministry of Magic has killed 86 people, and hundreds have been injured as a result. No cuplrit has yet been detained or identified, but both the French and British Ministries have been left scrambing, as British Aurors have arrived to conduct an investigation into the attack.

You close your eyes in prayer for victims and their families, and as you open them, you see a distraught Fleur leave the Hall, tears dripping down her face. You stand up from the Ravenclaw table, and head to the courtyard, where you suspect your date to the Yule Ball to be. Sure enough, you see her sitting with her back resting against the fountain.

"Hey, I thought you might need some company." She looks up to you and gives you a feeble smile. You sit down next to her, and give her hand a gentle squeeze, subconciously letting her know that she can rant to you.

"How could this happen? The French Ministry is one of the most safeguarded buildings in the wizarding world, and zat happens? Mon dieu, I hope my father is okay!" You wipe a tear off her cheek.

"Thank you, Rhaegal. You're honestly one of the nicest boys I've ever known. Had I accepted Roland Weasley's invite to the Yule Ball, I can be sure as hell zat he wouldn't have come, and yet you did." She takes your cheek in her hand, and presses her lips against yours. A world of emotions skim through your mind, as you attempt to process what is happening. It seemingly lasts an eternity, before she removes her lips from yours.

"If you want me to, I can arrange with Professor Dumbledore to have a memorial service tonight."

"Zat would be incredible! Thank you so much, Rhaegal!"

[...]

"Thank you." Professor Dumbldore says. "Now, as I'm aware many of you know, the French Ministry of Magic sustained a terrorist attack in the late hours of yesterday evening. As far as we are aware, 86 people have lost their lives. Our thoughts and prayers go to the victims families and friends, and we will now have a minute's silence."

 A minute passes, and you take a seat at the piano next to Professor Dumbledore.

"As a tribute, the Triwizard Tournament's head of security, Rhaegal Grindelwald has kindly offered to play La Marseillaise in honour of those who lost their lives."

The Great Hall bursts into applause, and you look at Fleur, tears streaming down her face despite the smiles. The same could be said of the other Beauxbatons students, who probably weren't expecting you to play a rendition of their national anthem. You get a nod of approval from Professor Karkaroff, and as you head back to the Ravenclaw table, the applause grows even louder.

[...]

You stand on Wooden Bridge, watching the stars, lost in your many thoughts. You feel a hand on your shoulder, and quiet breathing next to your ear.

"Thank you so much for zat, Rhaegal." Your mate leans on the balustrade beside you, her mouth agape in wonderment.

"Penny for your thoughts?"

"Ze stars are so beautiful here. Back at Beauxbatons, it was often quite cloudy during the night, so we couldn't see ze stars, but here, it's like a painting waiting to be coloured. I saw that in you and me, ze first time we met. We both looked complete on the outside, but on ze inside, we were an unfinished tapestry." Her eyes dart to yours, then your lips, before she closes the gap between you and her, cementing her lips against yours.

At the other end of the bridge however, an avid journalist was writing notes, hoping that this story would definitely make the headlines...

A/N

Hey Everyone, its SonOfGondorAndMonza here!
I'm opening up a Q&A session on this author's note, so feel free to submit any questions you have about this book, or any other of my works!

As always, I hope you enjoyed this chapter!