~Chapter Sixteen~

Start from the beginning

Dean sat on the edge of his bed, “Sam’s in the shower, but he should be out any minute now.” I nodded and we sat in relative silence, the only sound being the running water from the bathroom. Dean cleared his throat, “Scar, I really am sorry about everything. It was wrong of me to not trust everything that you did for us and I know that Sam really cares for you and…I’m glad that you’re giving him a chance.”

I shook my head, “I’m not here to start a relationship with Sam.”

Dean narrowed his eyes, “But I thought-” The bathroom door was thrown open and Sam walked out, drying his hair with a plain white towel.

He looked at me and smiled, “Scarlett, I didn’t think you were going to come.”

I stood from my seat, “I said I would come see you guys, so I did, but this has to be quick. I have a lot to do today.”

Sam nodded and threw the towel back into the bathroom, “We wanted to talk to you because we want you to hunt with us again. Before you answer you should know that we think you’re an amazing hunter and we really could use your help, but it’s not only us it’s everyone else in the world that needs to be saved. Please, come with us again.”

I sighed, “I can’t. I have too much to do at the house and the girls need me and I just can’t. I’m sorry.” I went to leave, but Sam caught my arm. He stared down at me with the saddest, most confused eyes I had ever seen. I shook my head and opened my mouth, but found I could not speak. I had no words to explain to Sam that I couldn’t go with them because I couldn’t be near him. I heard Dean slip out of the room as Sam leaned towards me. He placed his lips on mine and I kissed him briefly before pulling back, “I’m sorry, Sam, but I can’t.” I pulled out of his grip and went to the door.

I hesitated when I heard his voice, “I don’t understand. I thought you loved me and I thought that if I convinced Dean that you weren’t evil then we would be together. Why are you doing this?”

I let the tear roll down my cheeks, I seemed to be doing that a lot around Sam, “It’s not that simple.”

“Then explain it to me!”

 I turned to face him, “What happens when you grow old and I stay the same?”

Sam shook his head, “In this life I don’t think I’m going to grow old. Hunting is dangerous and I think I’ll be lucky to live to be thirty.”

“Well what happens when you die? I’ll be stuck in a world with heartache that can never be healed by death. If I don’t let myself get closer to you then I won’t get hurt.”

Sam took hesitant steps towards me, “Scarlett, you can’t do that. You’re hurting yourself more by pushing me away. Wouldn’t you rather have a few years of happiness than a lifetime of heartache?”

I shook my head, “You’re one of those white picket fence type of guy aren’t you?”

Sam smiled, “I was until my brother dragged me back into hunting. Now I’m just a guy who is in love with you and hoping that you’ll give me a chance to make you happy.” I turned to Sam and took two steps to close the distance. I reached up and wrapped my arms around his neck, pulling him to my level and capturing his lips in a sweet kiss.