8. "I will always put you first."

Start from the beginning

I don't know what to say. "Thank you. For taking care of me when you did not have to. For telling me when you did not want to. Thank you. Thank you, for everything." I tell him solemnly and turn away.

He pulls me by my wrist and makes me look at him. "Remember, you promised. Now stop thinking about these things and give me a smile. We need to get ready quickly and head out. If you don't mind, let's skip breakfast at the mess hall and grab something at a coffee shop on our way. What say?"

I smile - because he said to and also because I want to. For him.

I push aside the negative thoughts and, just for today, will myself to think only about having a nice time with him, making memories. Who knows how many of these I will ever get.

Lan Wang Ji, Yunnan

Finally, we are out, and I get to have A-Xian to myself for the whole day today! I feel like a nervous high schooler taking his long-time crush out on a date for the first time. In a way, it is the same situation except that we are not high schoolers anymore.

We make a quick stop on our way to get a frappuccino and a sandwich each and then head straight to the camping site. I start the Jeep, and both of us take a sip of our coffee. He looks at me and giggles, "You have a coffee mustache. You look like an old man," he teases me. His laugh is musical. I am mesmerized by it. He has a coffee mustache too, but instead of teasing him with just words, I give in to my addled brain for once and do something more. I swipe my thumb across that enticing mouth, slowly taking my time to feel the softness, feel his warm, shaky breath. Then I bring it to my mouth and suck on it not breaking eye contact with him. Gasping, he turns and concentrates entirely on what's outside his window. I chuckle. My heart is glowing with the reflection of a pink tint that's on his gorgeous neck.

We park at the bottom of the hill, and then there is a short but steep hike before we can get to our campsite. We carry only the basic things and start the hike. We leave the tent and other heavy gear in the Jeep. We will come to get it only if we decide to stay overnight.

Xian has brought a small digital camera and loves to take pictures of every little thing. He makes me pose near every beautiful tree, interesting rock formation, and more. I am usually not someone who enjoys any kind of attention on myself. But since this is Xian, I love it. I love being the center of his attention. I love how he is so focused on me. Me alone.

{Source: https://twitter

{Source: https://twitter.com/zhangebodi/status/1294137101261275137}

I am beginning to think that this day could not be more perfect.

And then we get a blip on our day.

There's a spot that overlooks the valley, and Xian wants me to pose next to it. He wants to capture me with the whole valley as the background. We both put our backpacks down, and I stand near the edge of the cliff, facing him, my back to the valley. I move back a few steps.