Act 2, Scene 1 - The Plan

"I have something I need to mention," Albert sits up in his chair, raising a hand. "I've invited an acquaintance on mine on the voyage. A Miss Eleanor Williams."

"A lady friend?" Moran smirks. "You dog, Albert."

Albert chuckles. "It has yet to be of that calibre, but I am interested in becoming more familiar with the girl. She's very approachable, a lovely girl."

Louis frowns. "But, Albert, the plan—"

"—will be fine," William interjects. "He doesn't play much of a role in the next few days, not to take away from Albert's work behind the scenes, of course."

"Exactly," Albert nods. "I'm simply inviting a guest while you boys set the scene for our plan."

-

Eleanor smiles, hands becoming clammy with his expression not giving much away. "Nice to meet you, Lord Moriarty."

His face softens. "And to you too, but please, call me William."

Stealing a side glance at her as she seems to relax, Albert raises his eyebrows at William. "Have you been waiting long?"

"We got here earlier so to board the ship quicker. Louis returned home so I decided to take a moment to appreciate the beauty of the ship in all its glory before returning to my room," William turns to Eleanor. "It's quite a sight, the ship."

She agrees, brushing a strand of hair from her face. "It's amazing. I've never been on a boat quite this size, although I had a few trips when I was a child in smaller cruise liners."

"Is that so?" William asks. "And Albert tells us you're an actress? Playing Lady Macbeth at the St James's Theatre?"

Eleanor's face lights up and she nods. "It's my third lead role, but the biggest role I've played yet."

"What other performances have you been part of?" He asks.

"I was in Oscar Wilde's play, 'Lady Windermere's Fan' and another fairly low profile play. After Macbeth runs for another week, I'll be auditioning for the Charles Dickens novel 'A Tale of Two Cities', which is performing in Paris in a few months time." She tells the pair.

Albert's eyes widen. "Eleanor, that's brilliant. What a fantastic opportunity!"

"Sounds quite exciting," William comments, Eleanor's expression faltering. "Are you looking forward to the ballet tomorrow night?"

"When Albert mentioned it, I was quite amazed. The first ballet performed while at sea, it's an event to be excited about." Eleanor gushes, her momentary shadow clearing.

He smiles in return. "I couldn't agree more."

Their attention is snatched by a commotion further away, near where people are boarding the ship. A dark, scruffy haired older man is shouting up the gangplank, gaining the eyes of everyone else waiting in line.

"What's all the commotion?" Eleanor asks.

The brothers share a quick, knowing, glance, Albert tilting his head to answer. "I'm not too sure, but it looks to be Count Blitz Enders and another gentleman arguing about something."

After a few more shouts of disagreement, the Count seems to march away, three ladies trailing behind, as the gentleman of lower-class huffs to himself.

Eleanor raises her eyebrows. "I wonder what that was all about."

"I wouldn't concern yourself," William shakes his head.

"Well, that's Blitz Enders for you," She shrugs her shoulders.

Albert chuckles. "Meaning?"

Pursing her lips slightly, Eleanor looks between the brothers' faces, both curious as to her choice of words. "It's only that... I've heard things, being from the same industry as himself... Maybe I shouldn't say—"

"Please, continue, if you wouldn't mind, Miss Williams," William smiles.

"Well, Blitz Enders has a rather —tainted— reputation in the theatre business..." She begins, looking to the side as she says the words. "I was asked to audition for a performance he was commandeering at his theatre, but once I shared the exciting news with a fellow cast member at the time, she looked... well... horrified."

"What do you mean?" Albert queries.

Eleanor clears her throat, answering in a hushed toned as she leans forward for the brothers to get closer. "He's done unspeakable things to a handful of young girls that have auditioned for him."

The brothers' eyes widen with Albert adjusting his top hat as he looks to the side. "I'm sure he'll get what's coming to him at some point. For now, let's board and I'll show you to your room, Eleanor."

Nodding her head in an attempt to brush off the conversation, Eleanor follows after Albert and he places a hand to her back.

William watches as the pair join the back of the queue and he innocently gazes back up at the boat as Fred, dressed in a dark uniform like the other cruise workers, stands behind him.

"The bait has interacted with the target who has now made his way to his room." He informs William in a hushed tone.

"Excellent." He grins. "Showtime."

-

Hands behind his back, eyebrows slightly raised and hair styled back off his face, Albert wanders towards his younger brother. William is stood by the railings of the deck, staring out at the sea and late afternoon sunset.

"Has the show started, brother?"

William turns his head to Albert, huffing a laugh. "Impatient as ever I see? The curtains are being drawn as we speak."

"Glad to hear it," Albert nods, placing his hands on the railings. "It would be positively boring without the performance that will be taking place."

"I think your show is just starting..." William nods behind his brother and Albert turns around.

His grin grows wider as he spots Eleanor walking over to the pair, dressed in a vibrant teal green colour, a perfect complement to her hair.

The dress is off the shoulder, the hem of the neckline tear-drop shaped, matching the hem of the bodice. Three tiers of ruffles line the bottom of the skirt and layers of ruched fabric sit behind the bustle. An emerald necklace sits on her collarbones with a pair of earrings to match. Her auburn hair is twisted into a low bun, a few loose strands around her cheekbones while her neck and shoulder blades are bare and beautiful.

A shiver runs down Albert's spine and beneath his calm exterior, he feels his stomach churn the same as the ocean beside him does.

"Good evening, Eleanor." William nods his head. "You look lovely."

She sends him a friendly smile as she makes her way over. "Thank you, William. You're very smartly dressed."

"I'm going to make my way to the lounge, but I'll see you both later?" William looks at his brother who sends him a curt nod and he takes that as his leave.

The pair stand in silence for a moment, Albert's cheeks almost hurting from smiling so much.

"You look amazing, Eleanor." He tells her, the sunset reflecting on her supple skin.

"Thank you, Albert," She feels her chest glow. "You look lovely."

He extends an arm out. "Shall we make our way to the ballroom?"

Gladly taking his arm, they walk back through the ship's dining area, turning to a quiet, red-carpeted corridor.

Albert clears his throat. "You really do look lovely this evening."

"Thank you, Albert." She smiles, stealing a subtle glance at him, a blush on her cheeks.

With a firm nod of his head, acknowledging their mutual attraction for one another, they continue on their way to the ballroom —both unaware of the growing smile on each other's faces.

-

-

-