Reunited

As Hayden approached the house, he heard growling from beyond the gate. Pushing it open, he came face to face with snarling wolves, ready to attack. "Enough!" A voice commanded, Madison stalking into view. "Back off. He's not a threat." She hissed, eyes flashing. Hayden watched the exchange, eyes wide. Turning to him, she growled. "What are you doing here?" Madison snapped.

"I came to visit." Hayden answered, bewildered. She walked off. He scrambled after her, confused. "What happened to you? He asked. "My father's dead. Five years to this day. I spent twelve years with wolves, growing up alongside them. Then when he died I took over as alpha. The previous alpha female, my step mother, his mate, stepped down to let me take her place. That's the story." She snarled at him.

Sitting down together, one of the wolves putting it's head in her lap, she stretched out and tilted her head back, eyes closed. "I'm no longer the girl you knew. I had to grow up fast, amidst a wolf pack. Survival of the fittest. Now I'm the alpha, human leader of a wild wolf pack." Madison explained.

He blinked, stunned.

Ten months later.

Hayden had returned to visit, only to find Madison holding a child in her arms. "Who's this?" He asked. She smiled tenderly at him. "Ash. His name is Ash. A child of two worlds. He will eventually take my place as leader of the pack." His old friend answered, holding Ash out to Hayden. Taking the baby, he gasped, seeing the vivid dark eyes open and pierce his. "He's gorgeous. You make stunning babies." He said to Madison, making her face redden.

She giggled, smiling. "I haven't felt this way in ages. After all, his father just died." Looking at her, he cocked his head. "His father, my mate, was shot and killed two days before you came. So now I'm stuck raising his child myself." She said. He nodded, saddened by her revelation.

Fifteen years later.

"Bye mom! I'm off on my trip!" Ash called, dark hair and dark eyes glowing. Madison emerged. "Okay be safe! Take care!" She waved him off, ageing frame evident. Wolf hybrids only lived past their 40's, dying early on.
Not two months after he left, he sensed a major disturbance in the balance of life. Like someone passed just so quick. Thoughts went to his mother, who'd seemed frail and weak more so.

Getting up, he decided. "I'm going home for few days. My mother needs me. You're in charge." He said to Storm, his mate and alpha female. She nodded, calm. Shifting, he took off on his passage back home.

Two days passed before he got to the place he'd grown up in, sniffing the air. He knew he'd be grieving for weeks. Entering the house, his eyes fell on his adopted sister standing guard over his mother's still form. Then he heard a knock. Walking over to open the door, a middle aged male stood, hesitant. "I'm Hayden Walsh, an old friend of your mother's, Ash. " Hayden introduced himself.

Going inside, and seeing her body Hayden broke down. "I'll leave you be." Cloud left. Both Ash and Hayden sat down. "Your mother was a strong, courageous woman who concealed her emotions for protection. I loved her. Still do. Never got the chance to say it, though. I miss her so much. Bold, brave and stubborn, I admired her. She did what was best for all of us, even if we didn't agree." Hayden explained, eyes misty with memories of Madison and her fiery nature.

"Her father came and swept her away. I didn't see her for five years, before she popped back up here and staying briefly. Then she was off again, running wild and free through the wilderness. Another five years passed, then she returned with the pack in tow, father nowhere in sight. She only told me after your birth what happened to Gary. I mourned her loss, but she was a strong woman. Hiding things constantly, she released an aura of powerful energy. Few mess with her. Her strength was both mental and physical. I loved that about her. Never afraid to back down from a fight, she was a stroppy, headstrong person."