"So, you met Topper. My only advice is, stay away from him," Pope told me and I frowned eyebrows not understanding. Was he so bad?

"Hum.. okay? I guess"

Pope took me a little further away, to a small group of people I could hear laughing. "These are my friends, you'll love them"

I walked to them along with Pope and they stopped talking as we arrived, surprised of my presence, maybe. I didn't know how to act, but as Pope was nice, I eventually figured his friends must have been as cool as him.

"Hey" I greeted them all smiling, trying to make good impression. "I'm Sam"

"She's the girl I met this afternoon on Figure Eight," Pope added and smiles grew on their faces.

"Oh you brought her here?" a blonde guy spoke and the girl rolled her eyes.

"JJ, be nice with her, please, she's new," she gave me a warm smile "I'm Kiara by the way".

She gave me a friendly hug and I smiled. She seemed so nice, It wasn't surprising she was friend with Pope. Her facial features looked relaxed, as her long brown strands fell over her shoulders and her eyes seemed to light up the whole beach.

"So as you heard, the grouchy guy here is JJ, and this," she pointed at another guy right next to her, "is John B"

John B nodded, smiling, hands in his pockets, looking down with a blunt between his lips.

"Me? grouchy? not my fault if Pope wants to be all friendly with a damn Kook," JJ argued and I bit my lip, not understanding a single word.

"What is a Kook?" I asked and they all laughed like I was some dumb new girl and I probably was.

"And she's fucking stupid," JJ scoffed as Kiara slapped his arm. Was he really calling me stupid when I had just met him a minute ago?

"No! she's just new!"

"So basically, here you have two sides of the island," John B started to explain. "The Pogues and the Kooks. People living on the cut, like us, are the Pogues, and people living where you live, on Figure-Eight, are the Kooks. To make it short, you guys are rich and we are.. not," he concluded.

"There's a little war happening between Pogues and Kooks, and some of us feel more concerned about it than others," Pope hissed.

"So for example.. was Topper a Kook?" I asked Pope and he nodded.

"The worst out of all of 'em. Well, actually maybe Cameron is the worst, or Kelce, I don't know. All Kooks are evil," JJ told me, insisting on the all as if he directed it towards me, as I drank a sip of my beer.

"So you're saying I'm evil? funny when you don't know shit about me," I shot back.

"I don't really want or need to get to know you, Samantha"

I couldn't believe a stranger could be so annoying. The atmosphere of the party was perfect, people were having fun, dancing and drinking, but here I was, dealing with what seemed to be a complete asshole.

"Well, at least we have a thing in common, JJ. And it's Samarah, by the way," I rolled my eyes at him.

"Hey, look it's just JJ, don't take it personal, okay?" Kiara started to apology.

Blood started boiling in my veins and I felt like as if by magic, if I stayed on that beach around him for one more second, my punch would make it's way right on his face. I inhaled deeply and stared at them.

"It's not against you guys, but I'm tired, I should get going," I told Kiara hoping she wouldn't feel offended. "I'll see you soon, I hope"

"That's it, go back home and complain to your daddy," JJ said, and Pope sighed.

I turned around and walked away, not willing to provoke an argument on my first night here, even though the blonde boy had highly deserved it. "Asshole," I muttered and I'm sure he heard it because everyone yelled at him after I left.

"Thank you JJ! Congrats! She left and it's all because of you!" Kiara argued.

How could JJ hang out with them? They all seemed so nice and he was an asshole. Damn, I was about to make friends, and he had to screw everything.

"Leaving already princess?" Topper approached me and I stopped walking, looking at him, nodding. I didn't say a single word to him since the beginning and he didn't seem to give up.

"Can I at least know your name?" he asked.

"Oh yeah, I'm Sam," I replied. "I've heard you were Topper, right?"

"That's it. Can I.. get your number?" he inquired.

I knew Pope had adviced me to stay away from him but he didn't seem so bad. I wrote my number on his hand and I could feel his eyes on me the whole time. "Here"

"I'll see you around," he spoke, but something felt weird. I frowned eyebrows and faced him.

"You're not asking me if I'm a Pogue or a Kook? I mean.. you wouldn't like to have the phone number of a Pogue, right?"

He laughed and shook his head. "I can see on your face you're a Kook. Plus, there's no obvious difference between Pogues and Kooks when they're in my bed"

My eyes went wide and I laughed nervously. Was it really all that mattered to him?

"Hum.. I was actually leaving so I'm gonna go, bye"

writers note : Just so you know, this story won't follow the plot of the series, but we got to pretend the Pogues are still around 16-17 years old, so it all makes sense. John B's father is also gone, but there's no treasure hunt. Thanks! Hope you loved this first chapter !