Chapter 36: Faded memories

Começar do início

"The bathroom is down the other way." One of the guards lowered his gun as obvious annoyance sipped into his voice.

"We are very sorry, indeed." Obi Wan mustered up his best satisfied male smile as his hand drew around my waist and pulled me against him. Then he bent down and placed another kiss against my neck. "Please, allow me to take my gorgeous wife home before we trouble you any further." His hand ventured down, down until it rested against my backside. The guards followed its path and shuffled awkwardly.

Wife. How those words had sounded coming from his lips, it drew me insane. Together with his breath fanning out over my neck as he pressed another kiss there I was absolutely gone. My heart started hammering again, harder, but I reminded myself that this was only part of the play.

"I'm afraid I've had a little bit too much to drink." I grinned at the guards as I huddled closer against his warm body and let my hand slide under his coat. Obi Wan tensed at the touch but gave no other reaction. "Would you forgive a young lady for indulging?"

The guards exchanged a few hesitant glances. "Fine." One gruffly answered. "But go home, now, I don't want to see you two again."

"Hmm, of course." I mustered up my best drunken smile before slipping past the two and sliding my hand into Obi's, pulling him with me.

"Have a great night, gents!" Obi called over his shoulder. Quickly his steps followed my own as we darted towards the ballroom again with the only elevator that would take us to the exit right at the end of it. We were halfway when he whispered under his breath. "Lyanna, that was, -"

I didn't want to hear his reprimands. "I know, I know." Looking over my shoulder I saw the guards directing their attention elsewhere; to their comm links that had started beeping furiously. "Scold me another time." I continued but when the guard's heads snapped back our way my heart sunk in my chest.

"You two, halt!" They jumped into a sprint.

"Run!" At first I pulled Obi Wan with me but soon he was the one doing the pulling, his steps being much larger than mine. My feet ached in the too - high heels, making curses slip from my lips as we charged towards the ballroom.

"Maybe now is the time for your well-devised plan?!" I yelled as they started shooting at us. We darted around another corner, coming face to face with the now stunned crowd of the ballroom. For a moment we froze under all their heavy questioning gazes until the shooting started to pick up again.

"Did I mention I was improvising?" Obi Wan blurted as he pulled me through the crowd that parted for us almost instantly, gasps following from all of them. The fact that they weren't screaming their lungs out made me realize this was an occupational hazard for them.

"You certainly did not." I grumbled before he again came to an abrupt stop. When I looked up and saw the army gathered before the elevator, our only exit, my heart sunk even deeper. All their guns instantly raised to us as the safeties clicked.

"Oh, dear." Obi Wan muttered, freezing on the spot.

There was a moment when all eyes were focused on us. A moment when Dryden slipped through the ranks, smiling deviously. "You didn't think it'd be that easy, would you?" He chuckled manically, followed by a cold order. "Restrain them."

Then, all hell broke loose. We were fired upon from every damn direction, stun shots directed right at our chests. "Get down!" Before they could hit us Obi Wan practically jumped on me, throwing me to the floor a few feet away and sending a table down along with us, the crowd scattering away and erupting into a panic.

Smoke clouded my vision, shouting filling my ears as I took a moment to force air into my lungs. His full weight was upon me and soon I found his eyes staring right down at mine as the shooting continued. If it wasn't for the table now providing some cover together with the raging crowd, we would've been stunned to death.