001- death + rebirth

Start from the beginning

good jokes. kinda hurted me tho

———

"i'm not joking," megumi said next to you. you had your legs crossed over his lap as you leaned back in one of the waiting room benches. the smell of rubbing alcohol and old magazines flooded your nose as you took a deep breath.

"i'm sure gojo doesn't care," you chuckled, taking another sip of your milk tea in hand. the lighting was damn near as pitiful as its decorations. dead flowers in a vase. dim yellow overhead lights that flickered every once in a while. there was a whole section in the back that was illuminated by the moonlight alone.

in other words: this place was a breeding ground for pesky ass curses.

scratching yourself, you wondered, "where's that guy? this place is giving me reactions." as if your words had summoned him, the boy you were looking for walked in from the hallway, carrying a sad aura with him.

it felt rude to continue to drink while talking to someone who just lost a loved one, so you put your boba down on the small magazine table nearby. "hi, i'm (y/n)(l/n)." you spoke clearly, holding a hand out with a solemn smile. "i'm sorry for your loss, and any trouble this dunce gave you." tilting your head towards this still-seated megumi, you flicked a spark of blessed energy in his direction behind your back, signaling him to stand up. he obeyed, despite the permanent pout on his features. he had already spoken to the pink-haired, and according to megumi, it didn't go too well.

he broke into a small, genuine smile and brought his hand up to shake, keeping his other hand in his pocket.

"no worries," he chuckled. "i'm.... humanahubanahumhum."

"...excuse me?" his sad aura was suddenly replaced with a nervous one as his wide eyes finally laid on yours. he didn't let go of your hand. thanks to blessed energy, your heightened senses allowed you to feel the thin lining of sweat the grew from his palm. you'd pay money to be able to read minds, but you couldn't really tell if there was a single thought behind those warm brown eyes.

he shook his head violently as he placed his pocketed hand on the other side of your extended one. "i'm so sorry, that was weird," he chuckled nervously this time. "i'm yuuji itadori."

"the cursed object you possess is very dangerous." megumi said bluntly, standing behind you. the warmth he had before itadori entered had quickly dissipated. it was his usual reflex to act this way around people he wasn't familiar with (gojo not included). being that he has known you since elementary and sees you as a sister, he wasn't very fond of someone gawking at you like you were a new animal specimen, regardless of their intentions. he kept his arms crossed, as he spoke. "i need you to hand it over."

itadori dropped your hand. "cursed object?" 'by the way megumi's talking, the poor guy won't understand a thing.'

"you happen to see this lying around?" you pulled out your phone and showed him a picture of sukuna's finger, still wrapped up and in a box.

itadori leaned in closer, squinting at your phone. the screen illuminated his face, allowing you to view his features better. 'he's pretty cute.' you thought.  "oh yeah! that! yeah, i found that. i didn't think much of it, but my friends were totally into it! what's dangerous about it?"

"every year there are more than ten thousand unexplained deaths..." 'oh my... this is gonna be a drag. meg's doing his little curse speech again. couldn't he just say 'this item equals death.'?'

suddenly, a ringing sound that you have been ignoring since you entered the building intensified. it's not painful, but it sure was annoying. once you glanced down, you found the cause of this annoyance.

a small, feeble, fourth-grade curse right at your feet. it had abnormally large eyes and a lopsided mouth. if anything, it resembled a blue, disfigured frog. it wasn't attacking you, just staring. rolling your eyes, you quickly stomped on it, immediately regretting your decision as now the soles of your sneakers were covered in curse blood.

"i—" itadori stopped talking to figure out why you aggressively stomped at what seemed to be nothing. megumi, on the other hand, peeked his head forward to see the curse blood, slightly cringing at the sight.

"sorry. carry on," you said, wiping your shoe against the ground. itadori shrugged off your action, assuming that you were trying to kill an insect.

"i told you, i don't have it. but here's the box." he carelessly threw the box towards your raven-haired friend. you turned around completely to face megumi and the cube of wood. he slid open the box to reveal a whopping load of absolutely nothing.

"it's empty. i've just been following the trace left by the object," he muttered.

"damn, sukuna is that good?" you asked, chuckling at megumi's shocked expression. he swiftly slid around you and power-walked to itadori, grabbing his shoulder hard.

"HOLD IT. WHERE IS IT??!" 'i honestly feel like i'm playing 'good cop, bad cop' here. why do i even tolerate his bullshit?'

"KNOCK IT OFF!" itadori yelled. you mentally slapped yourself for thinking that his sudden aggression was kinda hot. "you see my friends were planning... uhh..."

"TO DO WHAT?"

"megumi, cut it out." you scolded. "in idatori's defense, i wouldn't want to answer someone who's yelling at me either." taking a deep breath, you turned back to the now grateful yuuji. "what are they planning to do, itadori?"

"well, they were saying let's open it up to see what's inside it tonight."

oh...

while megumi was practically going into septic shock, you ran to the windows to see if the world had collapsed into itself.

"is that bad..?" itadori asked, his words coated in concern at two teenagers freaking the hell out.

"uh, well-" you started, not fully paying attention as you continued to look outside, but not wanting to startle him.

"it's more than bad. your friends are going to die." 'yeah meg! let's tell the guy who just lost his grandpa that his friends are next in line!'

you felt a weird buzzing, one that was coming directly from what seemed to be a school building a few blocks away. the black smoke coming out of the windows was enough to tell you where the finger was. "we gotta go. now." you announced before sprinting out the building, not waiting on the other two to follow.

*