Chapter Fifteen: Sweet Love, Bad Luck

Start from the beginning

"Ben." I demand in a harder tone. "Peter asked you a question. Shouldn't you answer him?" I'm beginning to regret approving his engagement with Isabelle because clearly this guy has problems.

Isabelle clears her throat, glaring at me. "MJ, there's no need to be so-"

"Izzie, it's fine." Ben interrupts. He looks at both Peter and me. "My sister was on that train. She died two nights later in the hospital of fatal injuries."

Peter's face twists into pity, and hopefully mine does too because I don't seem to quite believe him. Ben had a sister? He never mentioned her when he was listing his family both alive and deceased a few months back when Peter and I first properly met him as Isabelle's boyfriend.

"Wait," I say deliberately. Everyone turns to look at me. I pause, staring directly into Ben's 'innocently grieving' eyes. I see him flinch before shrugging and muttering, "nevermind."

Isabelle sighs and leans back, pulling back her fiancé with her. Her fiancé who is frozen and gaping disbelievingly at me. I can feel Peter's eyes ogling the side of my face.

"Let's go." He mutters to me.

"Where?"

"Out. We need to talk."

I swallow nervously, glancing back at Ben who's smirking ever so slightly. "Fine."

Peter stands and reluctantly I do the same. "We're going out for a bit. We'll be back." He announces to his mother and Ben.

"Sure. Go ahead." Isabelle concedes. "Just be back soon."

"Oh we will." I feign a smile and wave before following Peter out of the front door. "Look," I say instantly when the door closes behind us. "You have to kn-"

"In the car." Peter says sharply.

"What?"

"Tell me in the car."

"Fine." I pull open the passenger seat door and scramble in, waiting impatiently for Peter to do the same.

"So," he says when the door shuts besides him. "That was strange." He starts the engine that purrs quietly to life.

"Right?" I blurt eagerly, relieved that Peter thinks the same way. "Ben-"

"No," he says bluntly. "I meant you."

"What?" What?

"One minute you're all good and happy with Ben and then out of the blue, you're all cold and suspicious." He frowns as he backs out of the driveway.

"That's because I am suspicious. Peter, you should be too. Didn't you see the way Ben was acting?" I cross my arms, suddenly furious at his cluelessness. "And where are we going?"

"The park. But, MJ, Ben said his sister-"

"Ben said." I fume. "He said. Where's the actual evidence? When did he ever mention having a sister, dead or alive, until today?"

"Does that matter?"

"You stupid idiot, of course it does! That day when we first met him, when he listed all his family, yes, dead and alive, he didn't even say the word 'sibling', let alone 'sister'." I rant, glaring at him.

"Well," Peter scratches his head. "Maybe he forgot."

I snort and laugh because the idea is so ludicrous. "Would you forget your sibling if you had one? Especially when they're dead?"

"No. Obviously not. But Ben's-"

"Don't say he's different because he's not!" I practically scream, losing all patience. "Peter, you have to look at the realistic side!"

He slams his hand on the steering wheel, making the car honk loudly and scaring the people walking their dog on the footpath. "I am looking at the realistic side! Screw you, MJ! You're the one who's not!"

"I'm not?" I say in a deadly quiet voice. I feel the satisfaction of seeing him flinch. "Then why was Ben scared stiff when you mentioned the train accident? Not sad, but scared. Worried."

Peter stays silent. Wordless for a while. Then he says in a calm voice, "what are you thinking of, MJ?"

"Of how irritating and unjust you're being." I retort without sparing a glance at him.

"I meant what do you think of Ben? Why do you think he's acting that 'so called scared way'?"

"I think he was the driver of that train. The train that killed Amy's parents."

The car jerks to a stop, and Peter turns to stare at me. "What?"

"I think Ben drove that train purposely off that bridge that night. He killed those passengers and Amy's parents."

"MJ, you must've drank a lot of wine at dinner. You're drunk. Delirious. You've no idea what you're saying." Peter shakes his head, not believing a word I'm saying.

"'I'm not drunk, Peter!" I yell and hit the dashboard with my fists. "Damn it, Peter, I'm not drunk! I know what I'm saying! I'm telling you, this guy is going to be ten times worse than your dad!"

Peter blanches, his face turning purple. "Stop lying, MJ. Cut the bullshit." His voice is trembling with cold fury.

"You really want your mom to die? You really want yourself to die? To have a murderer as your step-dad? Fine. Go ahead. I don't give a fuck."

Peter sighs. "Get out." He unlocks the passenger door.

"Gladly." I say and open the door, leaping out of the car. "Goodnight, Peter. See you around." I pause deliberately. "Or maybe I won't." Then I turn and step onto the footpath, walking straight forward, away from Peter. I pull out my phone and dial a number. She answers on the third ring.

"MJ?" Her voice is tired and heavy. Clearly I've woken her up. But that doesn't matter at the moment.

"Amy," I say hurriedly. "Pick me up. I'm on the side of the road next to the park near Peter's house."

Abruptly, her voice turns worried. "What happened, MJ? Did you and Peter have a fight?"

"I'll explain everything later, except this. Amy, I think I know who killed your parents."

I hear her gasp as she whispers, "you mean you-"

"I know who drove that train."