"Why? So you can tease me about that too?" Gwen demanded. "Do you know why I fainted? It's because the Dementors make me relive my parents deaths. I hear them begging to spare me, their screams as they die -" the redheaded girl broke off sobbing, Draco's heart clenched painfully at that as he became overwhelmed with guilt. Making a decision he moved further into the room and sat beside Gwen, gently pulling her into his chest as he awkwardly rubbed her back and arms till her cries slowly ceased.
"I - I'm so sorry Gwen. I didn't know and I shouldn't have done it and I'm sorry for how I've treated you. My father - he made me act this way and I hate it." Draco apologised softly.
"I'm sorry too." Gwen muttered after several moments, shaking off her shock. "I rejected your hand because you not only insulted my first and only friend, but you reminded me of my cousin who loves to torment me."

"Did he do -?" Draco had to ask, the anger was building back up inside him. How could someone hurt this beautiful girl sitting beside him, a girl who he's loved since last year, their second year.
"No. My uncle. He - he doesn't like magic." Gwen whispered, crying into Draco's chest as she finally saw through his mask and it felt like a weight had been lifted off her shoulders to finally tell someone. Well, someone that seemed to actually care.
"I swear to you Gwen I will do anything I can to help you." Draco promised. "Where are Weasley and M - Granger?"
"Thank you Draco. They're too busy arguing to notice. Friends? But we can banter in the halls so your father doesn't get mad." Gwen suggested, holding out her hand.

Smiling widely, Draco wiped away her tears and took her hand shaking it; two years later than he'd planned, but he was happy. Actually happy.
"Friends." Draco agreed with a wide happy smile.

~ The next year: Yule Ball ~

As the years passed Draco and Gwen became closer in private and had more of a teasing banter in public instead of the heated arguments they used to have. Thankfully no one seemed to notice the change. However, when Gwen was mysteriously entered into the Triwizard Tournament and ostracised by most of the school including Ron who was supposed to be her best friend. Draco was beyond mad and he was simultaneously filled with worry; churning his gut like a cage full of Cornish Pixies. As a result, he couldn't help but prank those who hurt his Gwen; joined by the Weasley twins. Or the Chaos Twins as he'd dubbed them as.

When the Yule Ball came Draco had been determined to follow his father's orders and reluctantly take Pansy, until he noticed all the males from not only Hogwarts but Durmstrang too, were planning to ask Gwen to the Ball that he couldn't just sit on the sidelines on this one. As soon as it had been announced, Draco headed over to the Gryffindor table, ignoring the Hall quietening as they watched his approach to Gwen who was sitting with Fred and George at lunch, her arm still in a sling from the Horntail.
"Gwen?" Draco called nervously, trying not to fidget as everyone turned to stare at them, including the teachers.
"Draco." Gwen returned with a soft smile, which Draco was reluctant to admit eased his nerves a little.

"I was wondering if you'd like to go to the Ball with me?" Draco asked nervously, but his worry was all for nought. The pair ignored the waspish whispers zipping across the Hall, as Gwen beamed at him causing Draco to suck in a breath at how beautiful she looked; her emerald eyes shone brighter than the most precious of gems.
"I would love to." Gwen agreed happily, feeling like she could bust from the excitement and happiness flowing through her.
"Great." Draco exclaimed happily and full of excitement, taking her hand and kissing her knuckles. "The day of the Ball I'll pick you up in the Entrance Hall at 7:30pm." He smiled once more before reluctantly returning to the Slytherin table with a spring in his step.

***

The night of the Ball, Draco waited in the Entrance Hall dressed impeccably in his black lapel robes, black trousers and dress shoes, both of which were paired with a white waistcoat, bow tie and shirt; his hair styled to perfection. Standing beside him were his best friend Blaise who had Daphne on his arm. Draco reluctantly admitted he was nervous as nearly everyone was here and Granger had just arrived taking Viktor Krum's arm and still no Gwen.
"Don't fret so much Draco. She'll be here, I promise. She's walking in heels, remember. Which is no easy feat, believe me, especially when one has to walk down seven flights of steep, interchanging stairs in them." Daphne assured.
"True -" Draco started before his breath was taken from him as Gwen appeared at the top of the stairs: she was absolutely stunning.

She wore a beautiful off-the-shoulder, emerald ball gown with black lace overlay on the bodice and quarter-length sleeves of the gown. Her feet were adorned in black peep-toe heels, her hair was up in a curled chignon that had a braid interlacing through it and a few strands framing her face, her makeup was done beautifully with golden Smokey eyeshadow with burgundy lipstick. Also, Draco was pleased to note that Gwen was wearing the emerald necklace and earring set he got her for Christmas. As if in a trance Draco made his way to the bottom of the grand staircase, his hand held out to help her down the last few steps which Gwen gracefully took.

"You look stunning Gwen. I am truly a very lucky man." Draco said, kissing the back of her hand causing a small blush on her cheeks.
"Thank you Draco. You look very handsome." Gwen said softly, looking up at him through her eyelashes as they joined the back of the queue into the Great Hall with the other champions. It was the start of a most wonderful night, not even Ron and Hermione's fight could spoil it.

~ End of Flashback ~

"Draco?" Gwen's sad voice pulled Draco from his thoughts.
"Oh Gwen. It's okay. Shh, I'm here, it's okay." Draco crooned, sitting beside her on the bed taking her into his arms as she sobbed on his chest. "Everything's going to be okay, I promise. What happened tonight is not your fault." He rocked her softly, kissing the top of her head trying to offer her some semblance of comfort. He hated seeing her like this and could curse his aunt for what she's done. Feeling his temper starting to get the best of him, Draco took a few deep, calming breaths and held Gwen closer. She was safe in his arms. He had her. How they were (he) was going to cope for the summer apart was anyone's guess. He never knew that Gwen had a plan of escape that would shake the plans of the old coot right down to the foundations.

 He never knew that Gwen had a plan of escape that would shake the plans of the old coot right down to the foundations

Thank you Arcstark  for the amazing banners.