Chapter 2 - A new home

Start from the beginning

The two owners seemed to regain their composure, since they looked at the rest of the slaves with weary glances before the other vampire pushed himself off the wall and shook his head.

“W-who brought them in?” he asked, his voice slightly breaking as he kept his eyes on the child. Maybe she was his daughter or something…they looked alike I thought, glancing back and forth between them.

“Ah…” the right vampire said, Master Andrew as he was introduced earlier when he bought us. Andrew rubbed his hand over his neck in a sheepish way. “Eric did.” He muttered softly as the jade eyes of the other vampire lit up with anger.

“Eric?! The vampire who takes pride in hunting down humans to make them slaves while there are dozens of slave houses that breed slaves and train them from birth?” He snarled in a low hiss as his fangs appeared from his gums. Lilith turned around to look at her father as the humans pressed their backs against the walls.

Andrew nodded, looking at the room filled with chained humans. “Yes, he came here, saying that he had a fresh batch of free humans and told us that if we wouldn’t buy them, he’d give them away to his twin.” He answered with a grimace and I saw the repulsed expression appear on the other vampires’ faces.

“You know we couldn’t do that Ethan. Yes, they should be free but at least they’re alive.” The other owner said as he glanced towards us with a sad expression, which surprised me; I had thought that it was normal business for them, slaves being plucked of the streets and brought in.

Ethan sighed and rubbed his hand over his face as Lilith turned back towards me and cocked her head, tracing the chain marks on my arm. I winched slightly since they were still sensitive and Lilith pulled her hand back as she looked at me with regret in her eyes.

Her father noticed my movement and stepped closer. “What’s wrong with her skin?” He asked while looking at the silver-ish impressions left behind by the chains that had been used to make me a Fallen.

With a sigh, Andrew stepped closer and hovered his finger over one of the marks. “We don’t know, all Eric showed us was the chains he found in the house.” Ethan sighed as he looked down at me and shook his head. “How do chains do that?” Turning back towards me, he crouched down until our eyes were on the same level. “What’s your name?” He asked softly, his eyes flicking between mine and the shackles around my neck.

“If ya want to hear her talk, ya have to wait a little longer, leech.” Ethan’s head shot up and turned towards Nicolas, who was glaring at them, anger burning in his eyes. “And why is that?” Ethan asked politely, as if the man didn’t insult him by calling him a leech. I couldn’t help but admire the restraint of the vampire in front of me and I smiled slightly; he had a soul that was worth protecting, if he ever needed protection.

Nicolas motioned his head towards me as he stretched his legs out as far as the chains allowed him to. “Those ain’t the only marks on her, she got them on her throat as well. Spit blood when she tried talking to us before your kind barged in.” Nicolas ended with a scowl on his face while Ethan observed him with an even stare. He turned around and tilted an eyebrow at me before he walked closer. “May I?”