Chapter 6 - The Archer

ابدأ من البداية

"I'll turn away and the centaurs don't come near this part of the forest at this time."

"Why?"

"Because they know I'm here." He shifted his body to face away from Star. Star didn't know if his words were a joke, but he was not laughing.

She unzipped the bag and found a change of athletic clothes. They were not regular athletic clothes, they were of the luxurious type. A pair of stretchy pants, a loose white blouse, a black vest and a thick blazer jacket with gold buttons and fur which covered the collar and the inside. "Why am I changing into this?" she asked, running her fingers through the soft fur.

"Just put the clothes on, Ostara. There's shoes in their for you too. Hurry up, I also need to change." She did as she was told, she wasn't sure why though. Everything about this situation was strange.

"Done. I look like I'm about to go hunting," Ostara said.

"We are. Now turn."

"What?" she asked in shock. She stared at him for a moment longer before he began to kick off his shoes and unbutton his shirt. Ostara inhaled sharply and turned around to face the other direction. "Edison, I've known you for a week and we've spoken a total of five times, where in Merlin's name are you taking me?"

"Finished!" he called out. Her eyes met his again. "If you took the time to ask me anything about myself during those five conversations, Stiltskin, you would know I like to hunt." Around him was a small black pouch. He reached inside and pulled out a large white bow. How such a small thing could fit inside a tiny bag was a mystery to Star, but she couldn't be bothered asking.

Star took a breath in. "Oh Merlin. You've taken me out here to kill me, haven't you?"

Edison chuckled. It was the first time she had seen him laugh. "No Ostara, I haven't. Follow me."

"We're going deeper?!" she asked in shock.

"I want to shoot some things, and you're coming because I need to speak with you, away from others."

"Still sounds a lot like you are trying to murder me."

"If I wanted to kill you, you'd already be dead. I have a very good aim." He took out a pack of arrows and slung them over his back. Reaching for one, he lined it up with his bow and pulled back at the string. With the precise release of his fingers, the arrow darted through the woods striking down a tiny bird. Ostara yelped.

"The poor bird!" Star yelled.

"I need to release my anger somehow, would you prefer I shot at wizards and witches instead?" He grinned.

"If the wizard was Isidore Rosier then happily."

Ed looked to the ground and shook his head, grin still tugging his mouth upright. "Rosier is an uptight ass. You're giving him a run for his money. I've never actually seen someone get under his skin the way that you do. But he has a good heart, it's just buried very, very, very deep." He released the string again and this time a much larger bird fell from the tree. "Come on, the sun is setting, maybe we'll find a unicorn."

Ostara remembered reading about unicorn killings earlier this week. It's illegal and the killer pays the price with an ugly curse. "I hope you're joking," she said.

"Of course. Though it wouldn't be the first time someone at this school has killed one."

"Care to elaborate?" she asked.

"Nope."

They walked further into the forest. The trees had become thicker and the last light of the days sun was harder to see. A lonely stag walked in front of them at a far distance. "You're going to shoot this one." He passed Star his bow and one arrow.