Chapter 2

"Do you have a favorite sea creature?"

Ajax bit into the pastry given to him by the girl, strawberry jelly flowing out and some was on the corner of his mouth.

His ears perked up at the question, and made him grind his gears. He readjusted his sitting position on the wooden box he was on and licked the corner of his mouth, the salty smell of the sea slipping through his nose.

"Easy, Narwhal for sure."

He said with a closed eyed smile, according to his family and you a thing he did a lot.

He saw the corners of your mouth raise itself to a smile, a rosy blush adorning your cheeks due to the cold. You looked adorable to him, staring at the sea while sitting next to him on the wooden box. Not that he would ever say that out loud

He saw you swallowing the food in your mouth before talking.

"Mine is a flying fish!"

You spoke with excitement and started swaying your feet sometimes hitting the wooden box with your feet.

"Ah yeah yeah you told me before I remember."

Ajax hummed, proud of himself he remembered such a silly little fact about you. He pulled down the cap of his black winter coat, the fur sewn onto the rim of the  cap tickling his neck.

His eyes were fixated at the ocean eating the last piece of the pastry you gave him. He licked the sugar off his fingers and thought what was beyond it.

"Your eyes are blue like the ocean you know?"

He got ripped out of his thoughts and scratched the back of his head. He appreciated the compliment but he was too innocent and young to know how to respond back to that. Not only that but he could see you intensely staring at his eyes it embarrassed him even further

The appropriate thing was to make it not awkward and thank her, or give another compliment back. But he was a young teenager with barely any experience with other girls aside from you so of course he got embarrassed.

"Ajax, can you tell me what my eyes look like, or remind you of?"

She stared at him her eyes fully visible for him.

Now that he was staring at you he noticed all the little details on your face. Your long eyelashes that blinked everytime a snowflake would land on them.

Your lips being a bit chapped from the cold, and your cheeks and the tip of your nose red from the cold.

But that wasn't what he wanted to focus on, no he wanted to focus on your eyes. Those big eyes that shimmered with hope and kindness, those eyes that always lighten up with excitement when she sees him and greets him.

Those shimmering eyes that don't judge him, doubts him, or belittled him when he talks about his dreams.

"Hey! You have been staring for a while hmmm you should have an answer by now don't you think?"

She said teasing him, she didn't know why he was staring she little girl first thought she had some leftovers from her pastry on her cheek but that wasn't the case.

So (Y/N) decided that if she poked fun at the situation that would be the best way to ease the awkward staring and grab his attention.

Ajax cleared his throat and tried to brush the staring off as nothing weird.

"Your eyes, I think... I think they are a portal to your soul. They reflect you who you are I can see kindness in them, excitement, and hope in them."