9. Assembling (2012)

Start from the beginning

"I've sort of met you. I mean, I watched you while you were sleeping."

Steves expression turns a little concerned and he quickly glances at me before he gets up, but Coulson still keeps talking.

"I mean, I was present while you were unconcious from the ice," Phil looks at me, and I gesture him to shut up, as it's starting to become creepy.

"I hope I'm the man for the job," Steve says, as he looks out the window.

"Uh, you are. Absolutely."

I get up as Coulson starts about the new suit they made for Steve. He was so proud he had his own input he could barely stop smiling. I reach to grab the back of one of the pilots' chair as the plane takes a left turn and I lose balance. I stumble to the right side of the plane and bump against the wall.

Two heads turn to look at me as I get up and wipe off my black t-shirt.

"Well that hurt like a motherfu-" I don't finish my sentence as I see the nearly panicked look on Steve's.

"Sorry Cap. For you, I'll watch my language." I say with a two-eyed wink.

He gives a light chuckle as the pilot  tells us that we've arrived.

I look between the two men and see that we're about to land down the Helicarrier.

"Well, that's massive," Steve Rogers says as he looks at the giant battleship in front of us.

I try to hold my laugh but fail, so I make a funny, snort-like noice. Phil looks at me with a half-amused, half-annoyed expression. He's all too familiar with my 'that's what she said' jokes.

We land down the helicarrier and the ramp goes down and the fresh air brushes through our hair. I immediately notice Natasha walking towards us. She also notices me and her lips instantly curl up into a smile.

"Glad to see you didn't get killed by the zlyye russkiye."
'the evil russians'

She scoffs and turns to greet the Captain.

"Agent Romanoff, Captain Rogers," Phil introduces Nat to Steve.

"Ma'am," Steve says with a nod.

"Hi," Nat responds. She turns to Coulson. "They need you on the bridge," she tells him.

 "They need you on the bridge," she tells him

"See you there," he says, as he walks away. 

Nat and Steve start talking about the vintage trading cards but I am not listening, as I notice the man nervously looking at the people around him.

"Oh my god!" I yell as I run to doctor Banner. "Nat! Nat! Look who it is, there's my favorite green boy!" He turns to me with a quite scared look on his face. Natasha and Steve join us and they greet Bruce, who seems to get even more nervous.

"Word is you can find the cube?" Steve asks.

"Is that the only word on me?" I'm almost overflowing with happiness. I'm meeting 'The Avengers'.

"Only word I care about," Steve says, and it seems to calm Bruce down a little bit.

As both men keep talking Nat looks down the edge of the helicarrier and takes my shoulder.
"Gentlemen, you might wanna step aside for a moment, it's gonna get hard to breath," she alarms them.

"Is this a submarine?" Steve asks, looking to Nat and me.

Bruce looks fearfully at Steve. "Really? They gonna put me in a submerged, pressurized metal container?"

They both look at the lift fans that appeared and quickly step back as the helicarrier lifts into the air.

"Oh no, this is much worse!" Bruce yells as he and Steve follow me and Natasha.

We walk through a double door and enter the bridge of the ship where dozens of agents sit in front of viewscreens. Others walk around and yell instructions at each other.  I see Maria turn to Fury, who stands in the middle of the flurry of activity. He really likes being in the middle of everything.

"Hello Nicholas," I say as I step towards the director.

"If you call me that ever again, I will personally take you back to where you came from," he says.
That really is one of his favorite things to say.

I turn back around with a silent "okay" and look at Steve and Bruce. They're both looking around in awe.

"Gentlemen," Fury greets them. He walks towards Steve and takes the ten dollar bill he hands him. As Steve walks to the control panel Fury was just standing at, I see Maria take him in, from head to toe. Well, I mean, who wouldn't.

As Fury talks to Bruce, I walk towards Natasha, who's looking at a viewscreen showing a picture of Clint.

"He's gonna be fine," I assure her. "I promise." She smiles sadly. She knows that it's not a false promise.

We both turn around as Fury calls Natasha.
"Agent Romanoff, can you show Doctor Banner to his lab, please?"

She pats my shoulder and walks towards the laboratory, Bruce following closely behind her.