- CHAPTER ONE

TAKING A STEP BACK, sirius let out a stifled sob. they were gone. james and lily were gone.

normally, he would ask what had been the cause, but he very well knew exactly. it wasn't some random death eater that had taken the lives of his best friends, but the dark lord himself.

who was he kidding, as if anything really mattered to him at this moment. ''voldemort.'' he hissed, saying his name out loud, defying whatever taboo people had against it.

he almost entered the house to see the last breath on their faces, but he knew that it wasn't going to do anyone any favors. it was all too much. as racing thoughts ran through the young boy's head, something struck him.

peter. peter pettigrew was their secret keeper. he was the one who told voldemort where to find the couple.

it was the only logical explanation. the only explanation.

as he stepped out of the house, sirius closed his eyes and let his body disapparate. it was all his fault. if he hadn't changed peter as their secret keeper at the last minute, would all of this had worked out?

the reason james and lily potter were dead was because of him. that was something that wouldn't be that easy to shake off.

if his mind hadn't fled to the thought of peter this quickly, fate would have been forever changed.

the destination sirius had appeared was the same peter had been, six feet in front of him.

''s-sirius,'' the soft voice trembled as he looked around.

''don't you dare say my name!'' sirius's voice was loud, much louder than it ever had been before.

''i didn't mean for this to happen, i-i promise!'' the blond tried to reason with whatever excuse he had but killing his best friends and asking for forgiveness isn't as easy as you might think.

without a second thought, sirius whipped out his wand. ''you have five seconds to say something reasonable before i kill you myself.''

''i'm sorry, padfoot.'' was peter's last words before his finger fell to the ground by his feet, and then with a small pop, he was gone.

sirius had only just picked up the remains of his ex-friend when the aurors arrived at that exact moment.

''sirius orion black has been sentenced to serve the rest of his life in azkaban.''

that was it. everything he had done since the moment he was born till this moment right now had all been for nothing. the moments he had spent with his friends, the ideas on how to fight against the dark lord, all in vain, and what did it take?

just the life of two innocent kids who hadn't even managed to go on a honeymoon after their wedding. the whole courtroom was waiting for sirius to say something, to rebel, to object but he knew it was much better to keep his mouth shut.

''hey mate, if you end up in azkaban, just use your last call on me, okay? i'll get you out of there in no time.''

if only you were here with me right now, james.

the hands of the guard were rougher than his; his arms were grabbed by the bigger man who had no problem shoving the younger lad into the prison cell.

he also had the audacity to tell him to have a good time in there. sirius was so close to telling the man to suck something but that would lead to trouble in the first thirty seconds of his arrival to azkaban.

it has been three days since he was caught and ministry had put him in jail in no time because he was the only suspect for the death of james and lily potter along with other crimes such as being a part of the dark lord's group and killing peter pettigrew.

sirius didn't really mind being jailed for the last thing.

sitting down on his bed, the dark-haired male held himself, waiting for something miraculous to happen.

surprise surprise, nothing did. wiping a little tear that managed to escape, he sat right back up as if nothing had happened.

his eyes met a flame that was lit right outside his cell. it had him feeling nostalgic for something he hadn't even experienced, but what was it?

as the source of light flickered softly, he guessed it had only been recently lit. it was weirdly so, beautifully eerie.

not a second later, a chill ran down his spine: dementors.

the thought of the creatures themselves made him want to burst into tears but the flame didn't seem to die with the cold gust of air around the place. that made sirius himself, want to stay strong.

if a flame could stay lit, what made it so hard for him?

maybe the fact that he had lost everything that was close to him in the span of five days? yeah, that could be a factor, don't you think?

''if it isn't itty bitty sirius . . .'' a voice called out to him; a voice he'd recognize anywhere.

''bellatrix.'' he stated with utter hatred in his voice.

''what great crime has baby black done to earn a place in azkaban?'' with every single word she said, it seemed to mock his existence even more. not anything in specific, just his existence.

''i didn't do anything, alright bellatrix?'' sirius replied back, finding it hard to believe himself.

a little eye roll from his cousin made him spill out the entire story. hours and hours passed but he still couldn't believe where he had ended up.

''i didn't even do it,'' he said, his voice cracking at the thought of betraying his friends in this way, ''but now i just have this urge to hex every living being that crosses paths with me!''

weirdly, it seemed like bellatrix did understand him even though she had done every single thing or even more that she was accused of.

''right and does it seem like such a bad idea to join us anymore, baby black?'' that sentence struck him.

was it really that bad to commit the crimes he was declared guilty for? there was a long moment of silence between the two.

''alright then, it's getting quite late but if you're having nightmares, don't wake up looking for mommy to hug you tight.''

what? ''oh wait, never mind.'' the older girl loved getting into trouble and looking for a reaction, but he wasn't going to let that happen, not today.

so fucking close to punching a bitch.

suddenly, three-thirty pm turned to nine and the lights were going to turn off. they had a little family reunion and unexpectedly, bellatrix was a great listener.

he didn't know if it was because she was genuinely listening or she just didn't give a fuck (it was probably the latter).

so, there sirius was: not eaten in days, not able to get sleep, and the one moment happiness crosses his mind, it was a feast between three dementors to violently brawl for it as if it were a piece of meat and they were hungry dogs.

lying down in a bed that clearly hadn't been washed for months, the boy let himself gently close his eyes. that one sentence, ''does it seem like such a bad idea to join us anymore?'' seemed to stay with him.

sirius black had a new item on his to-do list: possibly, maybe, perhaps, mayhaps think about becoming a death eater.